Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

At night when I go to bed my legs feel like they are on fire

At night when I go to bed my legs feel like they are on fire inside. This happens from the knee down to my feet. I get up, walk around a little and the feeling goes away, however, after I get back in bed my legs then go numb. There is also some tingling that occurs down by my ankles.

What could be causing this and how do I stop it from happening?

Welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist your with your question, but I need a little more information from you to clarify your symptoms.

What is your age?

Do you have any other health/medical conditions?

Are you taking any medications?

Do these symptoms bother you at any other time except during the night?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What is your age? 58

Do you have any other health/medical conditions? I am diabetic

Are you taking any medications? high blood pressure pill

Do these symptoms bother you at any other time except during the night? During teh day when at work I get the tingling sensation but notteh fire/burning

Thank you for answering those questions. Because you are diabetic, there is a high probability that you are experiencing symptoms of peripheral neuropathy and/or poor vascular circulation. These conditions are common in people with diabetes.

The other condition that cause or aggravate these symptoms is a Vitamin B deficiency especially B12 and folate. Making sure you are getting plenty of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, dairy and fortified cereals in your diet will help this. Or, if you prefer, supplements will also help.

You should let your doctor know you are having these problems. Strict control of your blood sugars can prevent further damage, but may not reverse any damage already done. You can try over-the-counter pain medications to ease the symptoms, like acetaminophen or ibuprofen if you tolerate these medicines. There are other medications available if the above is not effective. For these you would need a prescription from your doctor. You also need a full exam by your doctor to ensure that your vascular circulation is not causing any damage to your extremities.

Here is a link to Mayo Clinic's web page about Peripheral Neuropathy for more information.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any questions, need more information, or any clarification, please "reply" and I will be more than happy to help you.

Take care.