Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have a sharp pain behind my right ear, the area is tender

I have a sharp pain behind my right ear, the area is tender to the touch, some stiffness not bad, but the pain makes me wince and has been going on for about 24 hours. I have felt this pain before but it always went away and did not last very long
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Do you have any other symptoms? Any actual ear pain or is it just behind the ear?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No pain in the ear, No toothache, no sinus problem. I do have high blood pressure which is conrolled with meds. When I press the area it causes the same pain, but the pain comes every few minutes whether I press it or not.

Thanks for the reply and the additional info

Your pain may be from Mastoiditis, an infection of the bone behind the ear, or from an enlarged lymph node. Mastoiditis is a bacterial infection of the mastoid air cells (small, air-filled cavities located in the mastoid process, which is the bulge in the skull behind the ear).

Lymph nodes play an important part in the body's defense against infection. Swelling might occur even if the infection is trivial or not even apparent.

I would not put heat or cold on the area and try not to push on the area.

If your pain does not completely resolve within a few more days or gets worse, you will need to be examined by your physician for possible antibiotics and further testing.

Hope this helps!

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.