Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical

what causes rectal pain that also is in the groin area

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
Have you had any injury to your groin area or rectal area recently?
What were you doing when the pain started? Which area starting hurting first? Is it sharp or dull pain? Is it constant or off and on?
Are you having any rectal bleeding? ARe you having any diarrhea or constipation? When was your last BM and was it soft or hard?

If you can provide me with some more information, I will try to answer your question. THank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have had some trouble with my bowel movements off and on , no bleeding just hemoroids from time to time area first was groin the lower also have had a prostate infection but had surgery on that and i am taking flomax now

pain is off and on but usually goes away after a bowel movement , stool is usually soft

Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
How long ago was the surgery on your prostate? Are you having any trouble peeing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
5 months no trouble peeing but i hold it in sometimes at work
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
The pain that you are feeling could be from the prostate surgery or your prostate could be a little swollen at times. AS you are more active, the area that was worked on in surgery could be trying to stretch at the same time which could cause some discomfort in that region. The Flomax should help keep you being able to pee without problem. THe hemorrhoids could be causing some of the discomfort as well, especially if you would happen to have a few hemorrhoids inside your rectum as well that you cannot see. If you find that you are having fewer BM's than are normal for you, that could also create a feeling of fullness or discomfort, especially if you have a tendency towards constipation. You can try taking tylenol or advil for the discomfort and see if it helps it. If the pain continues to get worse or you find that you are having trouble peeing or trouble having a BM, I would recommend contacting your doctor to be sure your prostate or bowels have some inflammation. I would also look at what you are eating to see if there is anything that tends to bind you up to see if that pain gets worse when you feel bound up.

I hope that this information has been helpful. Please let me know if I can be of help to you.