MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years

A question for a MEDICAL DOCTOR, preferably an urologist or

Customer Question

A question for a MEDICAL DOCTOR, preferably an urologist or a STD specialist:

I was disgnosed with Chlamydia two days ago and am taking DOXYCYCLINE (twice day for 7 days). I have so far taken four doses, with TEN left.

My problem: I still have symptoms: itchy penis, discharge when I squeezed the head (not 100% sure if the discharge is really discharge or urine or precum).

Worst, I feel a bit dense or strange or awkard in my left testicle, just like something is touchin it (not sure if this is psychological though).
I have my doctor examined me and he told me he found nothing unusual and maybe I worried too much.

Questions: How long will the drug take to KILL all the bacteria? When SHOULD I expect see all my symptoms gone? How effective is the drug? Is that a chance that it won't work?

Another question: How long will Chlamydia take to affect my fertility? I think I caught it about 32 days ago. Is that long enough to pose a permenant damage to my health
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.
I am an Emergency Physician and see a LOT of STD's. IS my answering OK or would you rather wait for a urologist or an STD specialist (those are generally dermatologists)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
PLEASE ANSWER. Many thanks
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.
Doxycycline has a very high effectiveness against chlamydia. If you take ALL the medication as instructed you will almost certainly be cured of chlamydia. Persistent symptoms would suggest a gonorrhea infection also but I assume he tested for that and it was negative. By day 5 I would expect to be assymptomatic but make SURE you take them all. The discomfort in the testicles suggest the infection was starting there but there is nothing more to be done now but take the medicine and hope that goes away also. There overwhelmingly likely will be NO permanent effect.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

One follow-up: The discomfort in testicle happens when I cross my leg..does it seem consistent with an infection?

Is it normal that after 4 doses , I still feel something? (BTW, I tested negative for gonorrhea..)

Also, should I change my medication to something stronger? Would a single-day z-pack be more effective and FASTER??

IF the symptoms persist, what is the NEXT STEP?

Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.
Yes, discomfort with movement is consistent with the beginning of infection given a negative exam (which you had). Yes, symptoms after 4 pills is normal. NO you should NOT change; indeed a z-pac might be LESS effective. The next step would be reculture and possibly empiric treatment for gonorrhea even with a negative test. But only IF symptoms persist after 10 full days.
Please click ACCEPT.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Physician for 20 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I already accepted, but sorry, what is reculture and possibly empiric treatment for gonorrhea even with a negative test?

The test with Chlamydia was postive while negative for gonorrhea

Expert:  MasterDoc replied 5 years ago.
Meaning IF (and this is unlikely) you don't get better they will retest you and possibly treat for gonorrhea even if the test is negative.
Thanks for the ACCEPT.
ANd a BONUS is always appreciated.