Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Hi, my cat scratched my eye yesterday morning and it hurts,

Hi, my cat scratched my eye yesterday morning and it hurts, is blurry and teary. I have cleaned it and talked to a pharmacist about what eye drops to buy. Will the scratch go away if I just use the drops in my eyes. At what point should I see a doctor (which I can't afford and want to avoid, I'd like to just treat it in my own).
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hello

A corneal abrasion or scratch from a cat's claw is what I would call risky. Cat's have numerous bacteria in their claws and puts you at a high risk for infection. The cornea might or might not be able to heal on it's own.

Things to look for for are excessive redness, tearing, blurred vision, double vision, discharge from the eye, inability to hold the eye open, and sensitivity to light.

You only have one set of eyes, and I would highly recommend you see your Dr about this. I can understand the cost involved, so I will give you a website that you can put in your zip code and the website will pull up a list of low cost or free medical providers in your immediate area. I think the website ask for your address and some other info, but all you have to enter is your zip.

In the meantime, you can keep your eye flushed out and moist with normal saline, but that is about all you can do at home.

Hope you can visit one of the clinics you find and get your eye cleared up.

Hope this helps!

http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/

********************

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by JustAnswer.com and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have all the symptoms you mentioned except double vision and discharge (although my eye is teary and tears fall from my eye). What if the cat just scratched the white of my eye and not my cornea?

Hi there

The cornea covers the entire from of the eye....(white part and colored part). The cornea is the outermost layer of the eye.

I would still recommend having they eye looked at under a wood's lamp for details on how badly the cornea is scratched. They will numb the eye with tetracaine and then stain it with a flourescent stain. The wood's lamp will reveal any scratches after that. There is no pain in this procedure whatsoever.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.