Nurse Tracy
Nurse Tracy, Nurse
Experience:  4 yrs in emergency room, 3 yrs in pediatrics. 3 yrs studying holistic and alternative medicine.

54 yr old white female with pain, itching, rash in groin area,

54 yr old white female with pain, itching, rash in groin area, for 1 1/2 yrs. Saw dermatologist for a yr, was treated for impetigo, staph, ringworm. Was put on various antibiodics and creams. Referred to Infectious Disease; diagnosis was herpes. Treated for herpes with Valtrex and cream for about 2 months. Developed Cellulitis, put on one week of Doxycycline 100mg 2 x day. Still there, new diagnosis of folliculitis, continued another week of Doxycycline. Red painful itchy rash still present, spreading into lower groin area. Same raised crusty skin and then reappears. Red raised patches with brown surrounding skin. The pain is driving me insane. Any answers??
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Tracy replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer. Have you had a skin culture done to determine if this is a fungal/yeast infection of the skin? If it is, and you are receiving antibiotics, it will get worse as antibiotics only destroy the bacteria, not the yeast.

Nurse Tracy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They cultured it for herpes but it didn't work. They did blood tests for herpes and it showed exposure to I and II.
Just because you have herpes in your blood, does not mean that the rash in your groin area is a herpes outbreak. An over the counter anti-fungal will probably not take care of this as it has been there for too long. If you feel comfortable calling your doctor, call him/her to ask for a topical antifungal such as Nystatin. If they say no or you have to wait a long time to be seen, Nystatin in cream form can actually be ordered online from Canada as it is not a prescription there. Applying it twice a day should be sufficient...it may actually burn a lot at first as the yeast are killed off. This is a good sign (as painful as it may be). After 4-7 days you should see some improvement. But it may take about a month of applying it for it to go away if it is yeast. I have known many people who have had a rash not taken care of the conventional way for over 5-6 years! When Nystatin was applied, it would go away. Another approach is a cream I make for various rashes for my kids. I combine equal parts of Nystatin, Cortisone cream (over the counter strength), and Neosporin OINTMENT. I mix it really well and place it in an old medicine container. It has worked wonders on various things...only a very small amount is needed.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

I wish you all the best, XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Two doctors said it wasn't fungal. But, I was never treated with an oral/pill antifungal medicine. I do have some hydrocortisone 1% cream and Neosporin. I scheduled another appointment with the doctor for tomorrow because it's not going away, along with a very hard to get appointment with the infectious disease doctor. Also, do you think this is a "normal" fungal infection or could I have picked something up while visiting other countries; Jamaica, Cayman, Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Cozumel? On cruise ship I was taking a bath and the water was a brownish bubbly yellow and in noticing I "wasn't THAT dirty" I got out of the tub. They shut down the water on the entire floor after that and even cleaning crew couldn't use the water.
It could be another infectious problem, however if it was bacterial, all the antibiotics you have been on should have at least cleared it up some what, even temporarily. Anything else would include viral (like the herpes), fungal (which you have not been treated for) and parasitic (like ringworm - which you have been treated for). Fungal infections are not common on the skin, and when one presents, they do not have one typical presentation - so many doctors dismiss this idea. When you see your doctor tomorrow, insist on one tube of nystatin for a trial period. Using the cortisone and Neosporin without the nystatin would not work on a fungal infection....the nystatin is necessary. Since Nystatin is broad-sprectrum, it should cover up most types of fungus and yeast...even those from other countries. If your doctor is not willing, then at least ask the infectious disease doctor to culture you for fungus as well as everything else he will culture you for. But I cannot see why your own doctor will not give this a try after trying so many other things. The Nystatin can only help, not hurt you.

I wish you all the very best, XXXXX
Nurse Tracy, Nurse
Experience: 4 yrs in emergency room, 3 yrs in pediatrics. 3 yrs studying holistic and alternative medicine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANK YOU - I agree.
I wish this gets cleared up quickly, as I can only imagine just how very uncomfortable and painful it must be. I am sure sleeping must be difficult along with all other aspects of life, from walking, to going to the bathroom. Let me know if there are any other questions (especially after your appointment tomorrow).

Nurse Tracy