Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I get irregular thumps in my ear. They sound and feel like

I get irregular thumps in my ear. They sound and feel like my ear is about to pop, but does not pop, in an irregular and rapid fashion. They do not follow any cardiac rhythm. I just measured my blood pressure three times in a row and I get 113/17, 113/78/ and 116/77 readings. It is in the morning, I just got up. These thumps come and go on an irregular basis, throughout the day, last about 5 to 10 ten minutes and disappear. This has been going on for a few weeks now. Most of the time I don’t feel them, but when I do they are quite bothersome. Otherwise my health is fine. Any ideas of what this could be and how to fix this? I would an answer to my question by an MD please.

Do the sound / thump disappear on its own?

Are you on any medications?

Any significant past medical or surgical history?

Is your first BP reading of 113/17 correct? Or typing error?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it disappears on its own.
No,I am not on any medication.
An hernia operation a year ago.
The reading is correct. However, I just went to the washroom and measured again and got the following three readings: 125/68,123/67 124/86.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Forgot to mention: I am a male

Your blood pressure reading are normal except the one which I had mentioned, but this can be an instrument error and your blood pressure should not be responsible for this thumping symptom. This is called as tinnitus, which is described as any sound emanating from the head not attributable to an external sound.

Tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom of some underlying health problem, usually in the ear, which would need physical examination and investigations to find out the cause.

Following are the common causes;

1) Exposure to persistent loud noise.

2) Ménière's disease.

3) Ear wax

4) Eustachian tube dysfunction

5) Environmental allergy

6) Blood pressure fluctuations

7) Diabetes and thyroid conditions

8) Medications are an extremely common cause of tinnitus

If you are taking any anti-inflammatory analgesics for any kind of pain like toothache, they should be stopped. All aspirin-containing products and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be discontinued. Supplements like vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, with magnesium, zinc, or copper are suppose to help.

Ideally an examination by a physician or ENT specialist should be done for ascertaining the cause and further management. Read the resource on tinnitus;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun