MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years
3119816

most of the impact being on my left shoulder/forearm/elbow

About 8 weeks ago I fell forward of my bike landing heavily on my left side with most of the impact being on my left shoulder/forarm/elbow. I had a lot of trouble sleeping at night not being able to roll over to my left. That is gone now. BUt I can still not raise my left arm all the way easily without some pain. Also maybe once or twice a day. There seems to be hope that that will improve over time but surprising how slow it goes. I do also get an unpleasant pain in my forearm just above my elbow lasting up to no more than 30 minutes usually each day. And sometimes in bed i can not be in certain positions like my left side leaning ever so slightly on my left side. That can hurt. Moving the arm around some hurts too. I am seeing my doctor July 13. Any suggestions what may be going on?
A year ago I came of the sidewalk with another bike and the steering wheel collapsed on me. It also hurt my left side considerably. That had healed pretty much by the time of this last fall. Hans
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
While I obviously can't diagnose over the internet, the mechanism of injury plus the symptoms you are having make me think of a "separated shoulder". Here is a link to a reliable site that discusses this in some detail:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/separated-shoulder/DS00933
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.