MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years

my 5-year old son received 3 stitches as a result of a fall

my 5-year old son received 3 stitches as a result of a fall on playground equipment. It was right on the cheekbone and the scar looks like the 3 laces on a football. When he smiles, he now has a deep "dimple" that forms on that cheek. Accident happened about 3 months ago. We use Mederma faithfully, especially before sun exposure. Will this heal with time? Or will he need to see a plastic surgeon?
Especially in a child that young, 3 months is not enough time to determine what the ultimate cosmetic outcome will be. I would wait several years at least before having surgery. That will give you a better idea of the ultimate appearance will be and allow him to be old enough to participate in the decision of whether or not the residual scar is worth having it operated on by a plastic surgeon.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
ANd a BONUS is always appreciated.