Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

yellowish discharge and sometimes a white thick stringy discharge

Customer Question

yellowish discharge and sometimes a white thick stringy discharge when peeing.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 years ago.

I would like to help you to understand the symptoms that you are experiencing.

The greatest concern when there is a yellow vaginal discharge and white, thick, stringy discharge when peeing is an infection of some sort.

Some infections are more worrisome than others. If you have been having unprotected sex in the past few days or weeks, then there is a strong possibility that you have contracted a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD).

If there is any reason to suspect that you may have been exposed to an STD, the best course of action would be to get tested and treated by a doctor. STDs are easily treatable with a course of antibiotics.

Please be aware that if you do have an STD then you can infect other people until you are treated. The organisms Chlamydia and Gonorrhea are the most common STDs and are highly transmissible.

There are other types of infections however that could also cause yellow and white discharges without any recent sexual activity. For example, an overgrowth of yeast could easily cause the type of discharges you are experiencing.

Yeast infection have other symptoms besides discharge. There could be redness, itching, and burning sensations as well. Yeast infections often result from stress and a poor diet. If you suspect a yeast infection, it would be wise to eliminate sugar, breads, starches, and fruit from you diet for a few days.

A bladder infection is another possible type of infection you may have that can be acquired without sexual activity. A common symptom that is present with a bladder infection is the feeling of "urgency" that you need to go pee all the time. Also there will be a burning pain during urination.

I hope that this information is helpful for you, please let me know if you need more help than this and I will send more advice.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that doesnt help much,but I appreciate your time. Thank you!
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 5 years ago.
Customer

Does the discharge seem to have a fishy odor to it? If you are sexually active, does it seem more prominent after sex?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The discharge does have a fishy smell to it and I also do have urgent,uncontrolled bladder. There isn't any pain when I urinate though,but yet can drink a sip of water and need to urinate in the next 5-10 minutes.My vigina does not itch,but on some occasions can. There has been times when I felt that I needed to urinate,when I do just a drip of urine comes out then I'll feel some discomfort like I need to urinate again.This happens off once in awhile.When I use the restroom, sometimes a white clot,snot look alike will be in the toilet along with dark yellow urine.I'am sexualy active,always am using protection.
Is my information confidential?
Customer

A fish vaginal odor usually means that you have bacterial vaginosis. This occurs when there is an overgrowth of bacteria that normally inhabit the body. Since it is not sexually transmitted, your partner does not have to be treated. Make sure you eat a balanced diet, and drinking acidophilus milk or eating yogurt that contains live Lactobacillus organisms can also be helpful in keeping a balance. Cotton underwear is also helpful in preventing moisture from developing. Make sure after going to the bathroom that you wipe from front to back. Avoid use of any types of feminine sprays, talcs etc as they can also disrupt the normal balance. Also avoid any type of scented toilet paper. Eating yogurt daily is also helpful in keeping a balance. You will need to make an appointment with your doctor for testing to confirm that this is BV, along with a script for antibiotics as this is the only way to cure this type of infection.
As far as the urine color is concerned, it's possible that you are not drinking enough fluids. If this is the only symptoms you have, then you need to drink more fluids. If you have other symptoms such as burning upon urination, then this could be a sign of a urinary tract infection. In this case you would need to see your doctor to have a urine test done, and prescription antibiotics prescribed. Urinate frequently and completely to empty your bladder each time. Avoid soda, coffee, alcohol- anything containing citrus juice.
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant