Mel.
Mel., Nurse
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.

My left calf is over 2 inches larger than the right one. It

Customer Question

My left calf is over 2 inches larger than the right one. It just began about a month ago. It looks swollen. It is not due to exercise.
Category: Health
Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

Hello jamlen

Is there any associated pain?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pain on the calf when it is rubbed. It feels so soar I can barely stand for it to be massaged. Once it is massaged, it feels better. Sometimes it is achey but I have a back injury for the past 9 years, so that is what I call pain.
Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

OK,

Well firstly it isn't a good idea to massage it until you have had tests to be sure it isn't a deep vein thrombosis.

I really would strongly advise you to see your doctor to assess it.

In the meantime if you get increased pain there are a few things you can do to test whether you are in need of immediate medical help.

Firstly check the pulse in your foot. I will explain how to find it.

Start on the top of the foot at the point where the big toe joins the second toe. Now in a straight line come back down the foot until you get half way between the toes and the front of the ankle. now with your fingers not your thumb, press around that area and you should feel a pulse. You don't need to count it, just check that it is present.

Pinch hard on your big toenail. When you release it the colour should return immediately.

Feel the back of the calf to see if it is hotter than the other leg. Take your temperature.

If the pulse isn't present or the colour doesn't return, or it is hot, or you have a high temperature, I would advise you get to A&E/ER straight away.

The probability is that it is a strained muscle, but I would not be doing my job if I didn't warn you of the possible danger signs.

I really would suggest that you get it looked at though.

I hope it gets better soon.

With very best wishes

Mel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't see any color in the toe to begin with. There is a pulse. I don't think it i s a strain. I haven't done anything to strain it. I am tacky to the touch just after walking across the house.
Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

As long as there is a pulse in the foot, even if there is a clot there, it means that it is not stopping the blood supply to the foot. Check it frequently. Please see your doctor though.

If you don't think it is a strain, maybe it could have been an insect bite which has become infected, in which case you may need antibiotics. But whatever the cause it really shouldn't be ignored especially in view of the fact that you have had it for so long already.

Please take my advice!!!

Love Mel.

Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

I don't know when you added it but your original question did not mention your pulse rate or blood pressure. Blood pressure is ok but I would like you to take your pulse again please and let me know the result. Incase you have made any mistakes I will explain how it should be done.

The radial pulse in the wrist is the pulse which should be checked. It is found on the thumb side of the inner wrist. Feel for it and count it with you fingers not your thumb.

Once you have found it, count for one whole minute. Please could you get back to me with the result? If indeed it is 120 you need medical assessment straight away.It is thanks to another expert bringing it to my attention that I discovered you had added this.

Please get back to me when you have checked it.

Love Mel.

Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

Jamlen,

Did you get my request for you to get back to me about your pulse?

Love Mel.