Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

my back..curve in the lower part of my spine, I am a inch and a half

I had scoliosis as a kid 80 % surve in my spine I had a operation and they put in a rod, several yearslater they removed the rod. I still had a 35 % curve in my spine the lower part was straight. I have had a lot of lower pain in my back, I went to the doctor they did x-rays and now I have a curve in the lower part of my spine, I am a inch and a half shorter then I was a year ago. Do you think that my scoliosis is actived again. Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
How old are you now?

Is this curve in the "lumbar" spine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 43 years old. The curve is right by my shoulder blades and now in my lower back.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

It does sound as if your scoliosis is starting to develop again, but this really isn't something that is "activated", in that there is a on-off switch for it.

It is usually something that develops over years, and having a previous curve in the upper back predisposes you to having further curves elsewhere (likely opposite curves to compensate). And these curves can progress as well, as more and more stress is put on the muscles and bones of the lower back.

So, it seems likely that your new lower curve is related to the "wear and tear" that supporting your upper curve in your back has done over the years, and may now be accelerating (or not). So, this will require followup with repeat imaging over months to years, and evaluation by a spine surgeon to determine how often this should be followed, and if further testing should be done (e.g. CT or MRI scans, evaluation for interventions).