Nurse Tracy
Nurse Tracy, Nurse
Experience:  4 yrs in emergency room, 3 yrs in pediatrics. 3 yrs studying holistic and alternative medicine.
19315399

I have had unintentional weight loss and terrible stomach problems.

I have had unintentional weight loss and terrible stomach problems. I also feel tingling and numbness in my toe and burning and bubble like sensations in my right leg. I am always thirsty, not much of an appetite, and nothing tastes good. Can someone help me?
Hi whats the stomach problem ?Is there any diahorrea?Any tests done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Diahrreah, constipation, no tests. Painful painful stomach aches at times.

I am unsure why Dr. Naeem opted out, but maybe I can help you. I am concerned about your symptoms as they are indicating possible diabetes. There are many diseases and physical problems that your symptoms can be caused by, but diabetes is of the most concern, because if left untreated, diabetes can lead to more life-threatening symptoms. I am not trying to scare you, but in my opinion you should call your doctor and request a simple fasting blood glucose test (before your next appointment if possible). This can be done at a lab or sometimes right at the doctor's office.

As I said before, there are other things that may be causing your symptoms, however the classic symtoms of diabetes are extreme thirst, weight loss, changes in bowel habits (constipation to diarrhea), headaches, fatigue, blurred vision, and numbness in the extremeties, but most prominently in the lower legs and feet. Some symptoms may worsen within a few hours after eating something high in sugar or high in carbohydrates (especially headaches and blurred vision).

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. By the way, when is your appointment with your doctor and have you been experiencing poor vision or headaches?

Thank you for the opportunity to help you,
Nurse Tracy

Nurse Tracy, Nurse
Experience: 4 yrs in emergency room, 3 yrs in pediatrics. 3 yrs studying holistic and alternative medicine.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My appointment is on the 20th, however everyone keeps telling me to get in right away. My eyes have just started to go, but I figure it's age as I can see better with reading glasses. I have no headaches, but excess gas in my stomach (loud grumbling). I also have lower back pain. I was treated for a sinus infection with antibiotics and steroids about a month ago, but I have been feeling worse again these past couple of weeks. I have been under a great amount of stress, so I know that this affects my entire body. But something seems wrong. I also seem to have a lump in my throat at times and my moods are extreme. Thank you so much for your help by the way, I appreciate any information!
<p>You are very welcome...I am striving to make people more educated on their own health, one person at a time! :) The stomach problems may or not be related to the other symptoms. Becasue you were recently on antibiotics and steroids, you may have an overgrowth of yeast in your intestines causing the bloating, discomfort and gas. When antibiotics are given, they not only kill the bad bacteria, but the good bacteria in our intestines as well. All that space then becomes available for the yeast to take over (yeast occurs naturally in our body and is not affected by antibiotics). The body usually is able to bring the yeast levels back to normal and replenish the good bacteria. But in times of stress or if other medications are given that inhibit the body to fight the overgrowth of yeast (like steroids), then the yeast wins out. </p><p> </p><p>With all that said, I still feel even more strongly though that you need to be checked for diabetes. Your lower back pain can indicate problems with your kidneys...another progressive problem related to diabetes. The steroids you took recently are known to cause high levels of blood sugar even in people who have no history of diabetes. Although people without diabetes will return to a normal sugar level after completing the steroids, people who have diabetes will find that their symptoms worsen during and after taking steroids. Did your symtoms worsen during and after you took the steroids? Also, diabetes will affect your mood as your blood sugar levels rise and fall...you will most likely experience more anger and frustration than normal, and bouts of not feeling like yourself at all. </p><p> </p><p>You do not necessarily have to move up your appointment. Call the office and ask to speak to one of the nurses. Tell them you would like to be checked for diabetes. Ask if they can order a fasting blood glucose test at a lab near you before your appointment. If your level is high, they should call you within 48 hours of having the test. If not, then you can discuss the results and your symptoms with your doctor on the 20th. </p><p> </p><p>If you do indeed have diabetes, then getting your blood glucose levels under control will alleviate a lot of your symptoms in time. If you experience black-outs, temporary blindness, or chest pain, skip past your doctor and go straight to your local Emergency Room. Again I do not want to scare you, but I want to make sure you get the necessary help and information. Again, please do not hesitate to ask any further questions. </p><p> </p><p>Thank you, </p><p>Nurse Tracy</p>
Nurse Tracy, Nurse
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much again Tracy! The symptoms did worsen after taking the steroids. I feel terrible in the mornings and I can't get something to drink fast enough. I feel better as I go throughout the day, but I get so weak and tired in the afternoon and evening. My throat is always feels dry and my voice changes periodically. I also get very nervous and at times a bit shaky. Other people have mentioned thyroid issues and possible GI problems. I just know that I don't feel like myself and I have no appetite and cannot enjoy a meal as nothing tastes good. Very frustrating, thanks so much again!
You are welcome! I can understand your frustration. It is possible that this is something other than diabetes, like a thyroid problem. But again, diabetes can cause so many problems, including hormone imbalances and GI problems. Either way, figuring out exactly what is causing all your symptoms can be the first step in finding a way to make them go away. Were you able to get in for a blood test? It will probably be hard with the upcoming holiday, but it may help you to start the process of figuring out what is going on. Taking the first step is often very hard as it seems human instinct to run and hide when faced with something big (or what we perceive as a big deal). Another thing I just thought of: do you have any friends or family nearby that are diabetic and use a glucose meter? You could always ask if they could test your sugar one morning before you eat anything. Just a thought.

I do wish you all the best, XXXXX XXXXX do not hesitate to ask any further questions, even down the road a bit.

Take care,
Nurse Tracy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no friends or family and my husband who is diabetic left me recently due to the fact that we've been fighting on and off for the past few months, especially after taking the steroids. I have not been feeling well for a while. Needless to say, I have been under a huge amount of stress. Thinking that it was my sinuses, I went to urgent care. I have no health insurance so I have no regular doctor. I am afraid that they will put me in the hospital. I am trying to wait it out until the 20th as they will be taking blood tests and saliva tests. However, to be honest, I am scared and alone, but I know that it is something I have to do. I appreciate your help so much, it seems as if the people that I do talk to are not listening anyway.
I am sorry to hear you are going through so much stress. It must be very difficult to deal with all alone. Remember that any church (or place of worship) would welcome you with open arms. In times like these when so many people are going through very hard times, people are banding together more and more to support one another and to seek guidance from God.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX health...the longer you wait to get your glucose checked, the likelihood increases that you will have to be admitted. If you go in today for a check, and you do have diabetes, your sugar may be able to be controlled with medications at home. Having no insurance poses a problem, but there are many clinics out there that are government funded to help people with no insurance. If you tell me what city you love in, I can do some research for you and find one that can help you.

In the meantime, try to not eat anything with sugar in it or anything high in carbohydrates (like a big bowl of pasta). Since your husband is diabetic, I am sure you are aware of the foods available for diabetics...try to focus on such a diet if you do not want to get checked before the 20th. Also, try to get out for a walk everyday. SInce you are in Arizona, try as early in the morning as possible and bring a lot of water. The exercise will make your body utilize the glucose in your bloodstream...so if you are diabetic, this will help to bring down your glucose levels. If you can't walk further than 5 minutes, that is ok...you are probably tired all the time, but try to focus on small amounts at first, because anything at this point will highly benefit you.

Again, I am here if you have any further questions. Right now it is 10 am EST, so it would be 7 am your time...if you get this soon, try a 5-10 minute walk and let me know how it went.

Nurse Tracy