Dr. Ketch, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University
11115704

my father gets sick to his stomach when he eats and hand and

my father gets sick to his stomach when he eats and hand and arms fall asleep when laying on his sides his hands and arms get numb sometimes he feels like he's having a heart attack he went to the hos pital but they didn't find a thing also he gets nausiated when he lays on his back
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Ketch replied 5 years ago.
Dear Rlieune:

I am sorry your dad is having such difficulties. It is possible that there is more than one thing that may be going on. Let's look at his arms first. There are two major causes of numbness in the arms, either it is nerve related or it is blood vessel related.

The nerves to the arms collectively are called the Brachial Plexus that pass from the spine between the collar bone and the first rib and inside the arm next to the brachial artery, also known as the subclavian artery at the level of the collar bone. If there is any narrowing of the path of the nerves, certain positions of the arms can cause the arms to fall asleep. Some people have an extra rib that can cause this type of numbness.

The blood vessel related can be the subclavian artery. Blockage either within the artery or from outside of the artery, again neighboring structures, like muscle, crowding in the sheath where the artery and nerve travel together can cause these types of problems.

Your dad may need to see an upper extremity orthopedic specialist to narrow down the potential problems.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button for me to receive credit. Thanks

Dr. Ketch, Doctor
Experience: Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University