Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

My primary care physicial just called to let me know that he

My primary care physicial just called to let me know that he had my results back for a CT scan and said that is showed thickening of the ilium. He was not sure what that meant and would get back with me. What does this mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
The ileum is a part of the intestine. Thickening of the ileum means thickening of the wall of the ileum.

There are a large number of causes for thickening of the ileum. Some of the commoner ones are:

Intestinal infections such as Salmonella.
Crohn's disease.
TB of the intestine.
Tumor of the intestines.

So thickening of the intestine is a non-specific finding, you will now have to be evaluated to find the cause of the thickening.

You are likely to need endoscopic examination of the intestines. Another investigation that you should discuss with your doctor is capsule endoscopy, in which a small camera like a capsule is swallowed and takes pictures of the whole intestine.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.