A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

So no we are back on the street trying to obtain.. methadone

So no we are back on the street trying to obtain.. methadone from whomever. Our doctor made a deal with us that he woud help us find the right treatment for us. He could have cared less, We had an appointment with him once a week for 8 or 9 months and we would present him with our findings on care in Boston area, all we did is hit brick walls. No one will take us. We are both college educated intelligent individuals who were treated like the scum of the earth at the clinic. And they would not be able to give us the dosage of medication we would need to start off at. These days all private Pychiatrists perscribe Saboxin. We need to be below 20 mg of methadone to even think about switching to saboxin. We need to continue on with our lives, jobs, family... and ween off the methadone... we have tried every avenue.. I have made over 150 calls to local addition centers and NO ONE will touch us! because our doctor had us up at too high of a dosage. I truly feel like this will never en
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. That is an extremely high level of methadone, and you are right that there is no equivalent Suboxone or Subatex for that high a dose. Have you considered inpatient rehab to get your methadone levels down? You are given other medications to help with the methadone withdrawal and you basically sleep a lot and don't have convulsions. When you reach a level that Suboxone can handle, you are switched to that at a high dose and gradually decreased to a level that a private Suboxone practice can handle in the community.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your response. I'm not quite sure what state you reside in or what research you have done, but the fact of the matter is each state is very different and Massachusetts seems very unclear at times as to what is right and what is wrong. When I tell you that we have researched every avenue available to us that is no lie. I have spoken to 3 different hospitals that specialize in addition and impatient therapy. NONE of them would touch us because our Methadone levels are too high and that in order to survive a detox they would not even consider admitting us unless we were down somewhere in the 30-50 mg area. I was denied by 3 different hospitals. We have contacted close to 50 addiction specialist about our problem and they can do absolutely nothing for us as stated with a "good luck" So basically what the story is that any general practioner in this state can write a prescription for Methadone as long as it is for pain. BUT no addiction specialist or psychiatrist can write for Methadone on a maintenance level. We are open to all suggestions and support but we just can not get past "no, sorry" we won't be able to help you here. The fact that our general doctor who underwent back surgery a month or two ago just simply told us he is no longer authorized by his colleagues to write prescriptions for us. Just like that, in an instant. What he has done is medical negligence and put two peoples lives in severe jeopardy trying to prevent themselves from becoming horrifically sick. I just do not understand how any doctor can just stop writing a script for a highly dangerous and serious medication. Moreover we will deal with him legally when we can get our situation on track, but right now... we really feel like there is not one person out there who will help us get through this no matter how long it takes. When you spend hours and days into days looking for help just to be turned away because our previous doctor decided to put us on 100mg ea. of Methadone for close to 9 months? Makes life harder by the second...why are we being turned away from your recommendation? We pretty much get laughed at when they ask how much methadone are you on, I tell them 100mgs and everything goes south from there.

I don't know if you will ever be able to help us.. it may just be too difficult of a situation. But I pray every night someone would just help.

any further input would be greatly appreciated as always.

you are very kind.

Thank You

I'm so very sorry to hear about all your troubles. I am not in Massachusetts. While it won't be easy, there is one serious thing to think about. It is so serious that I hesitate to mention it. If you are already in withdrawal trouble, they will take you to the ER and they will HAVE to help you...at least they do most places, and you can request inpatient rehab. Have you tried the psychiatric hospitals? What is the highest amount per day that they will accept? Once you are accepted into an in-patient program, the hospital is required to treat your symptoms. Clinical dosages are usually around 80-120 mg/day, so I really don't see what their problem is with accepting you at 100 mg/day. Have you tried pain management clinics? Have you gotten your insurance company involved?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sincere Thanks for your compassion. In answering your questions it may or may not give you a better idea of how things work here. I specifically remembering asking my general Dr. while under his care for methadone "why is this so hard? why can't we find anyone out there to help us?" He told us that the state is in denial about this epidemic and that they are not putting enough money into these type of programs desperately needed here in MA. He described it as "just awful.

Yes, I have heard of the ER option and appreciate your advice. It means a lot, but I'm certain about the hospitals yet. As far a psychiatric hospitals are concerned. Yes we have called quite a few and we would be transfered over to the department that "handled" our type of problems.. it was no different that speaking to anyone else unfortunately. "your dosage is way too high and we can't benefit you"

When you speak of clinical doses the 2 we went to told us that they do not go that high and that 60mg is the cap." so get ready to be sick as one friendly counselor put it"

As far as using my insurance policy as a means of help for substance abuse I was first told to visit a website of clinics and hospitals they work with and call them. Well as you can imagine that failed miserably as well, Everything is Saboxin, Saboxin, Saboxin... and quite frankly I find it to be an awful medication that is not effective to most people, as I know a good 5 people that are prescribed them and just sell them on the street for harder drugs!!

I spoke to one gentleman today at a well know substance abuse clinic, who told me that I should switch to HEROIN so the detox would be shorter! Now, this is insanity!.. OK go by Heroin off the street risk getting arrested and then ingest something I don' even know is really even heroin? What is this world coming to? I told him that was the most unprofessional thing I have ever heard in my life an hung up. Then I just broke down for an hour sobbing that someone would even consider saying that.

I appreciate your time and dont expect a miracle answer from anyone, but why is this so hard to get the proper help, before I really loose my mind. Thank you again.

I'm so sorry, but I'm really out of suggestions. I tossed this around at work this morning and no one here really understands what the problem is. You aren't taking a huge amount of methadone and our hospitals detox people taking this much (and more) all the time. One of the other experts agreeing with my last post is from the USA and the other from Scotland, so this is pretty much universal operating procedure. You may want to consider another state if you aren't receiving help in Massachusetts. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call around. While driving up to 3-4 hours isn't convenient, it is better than the alternative.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for all your hard work, we very much appreciate your detailed responses and even tossing it around the office for some other suggestions. currently we can not check into an ER. and program indefinitely. We have to continue with our day to day responsibilities no matter how bad we are . Nothing is guaranteed here or the fact that they will give us the proper treatment as you mentioned. We will have to just push and push until we find a doctor to help us no matter what the odds. LIfe will just have to go on hold until we can get things under control. In the meantime if you or your colleagues come up with some brilliant ideals or alternatives I ask that you contact me at jimpish33@gmailcom. To of course consider another accept and payment. Please keep in touch with any new things you may hear of.

Warm Regard,