Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

My symptoms are frequent bowel movements with mucous and gas

I have been told that I have IBS, but have not seen a GI specialist yet, am waiting for an appt. My symptoms are frequent bowel movements with mucous and gas. My question is how is it treated and controlled.?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 7 years ago.

You can treat it with healthy and balanced diet. You need to take Psyllium, it is a natural vegetable fiber. You should increase the fiber in your diet slowly. Sometime milk products , worsen the condition, if you have any symptoms from them, then avoid it.Also stress aggravates it, so practice yoga and meditation.In case of pain , you can take anti-spasmodic.

There is no medication for IBS, it can be controlled with changes in diet chart. You should also see dietican and plan for your diet chart.

I wish for your good health.

Take care

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Why would a high fiber diet help, if I am going too frequently now. 6 to 7 times a day??? Also would Activia yogurt help in your opinion. I eat all-Bran every morning and my primary physician prescribed Miralax, which I have taken, but no change. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 7 years ago.

Yes, surely Yogurt will help in controlling the symptoms. Also the excess of gas formation, which occurs, can be further controlled with the yogurt.

Also consult a dietitian for planning a diet chart.

take care

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr Josh, sorry to be a pain, I don't go online daily, one more question, Would Multi-digestive enzymes help IBS. My brother bought me Spring Valley Multi -enzyme probiotic Formula which you take with meals. Thanks,Customer
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 7 years ago.

Yes, taking multi digestive enzymes will help you in treating the symptoms.

Yes, i have reviewed this formula, this will surely help you in recovery from the symptoms

i wish for your good health.

Take care