Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions

smoked for approx 11 years 5-6 cigarettes a day

hi i am 30 years old recent ex smoker. smoked for approx 11 years 5-6 cigarettes a day. I have mild childhood asthma. Recently i was diagnosed with sinus inflammation after i had a cold. At the time my doctor listened to my chest and said it sounded clear. Now for the past few days i have been getting a burning feeling in my upper back near the right shoulder blade. It is like a tingly burning sensation that seems to come and go. I have noticed that it definitely gets worse when i eat something spicy. I suffer from GERD and have recently come off my medication (omemprozole) as i am now pregnant. I do get a lot of acid still.
My question is does this burning sensation sound like it is something serious and a result of the cold i had or is it related to acid reflux? can acid reflux cause such symtoms. I am so scared as i am a recent ex smoker and i am afraid of lung disease. I have no wheezing or breathlessness but i do get mucous in my throat as a result of the sinus infection.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Your symptoms may be reflux disease. Since you are so young, the risk of lung disease, especially after your doctor examined you, is highly unlikely. It is more likely that it is your little bundle of joy causing these issues. As you get pregnant, your hormones are reved up and everything is going into overdrive. Not to mention the size of the baby. Reflux or gas is one of the most common complaints that women have during pregnancy. The sensation is most likely do to the gas and is known as referred pain. The pain is referred along the nerves. This too is common. You would be well advised to stay away from spicy foods. Ask your doctor if you can continue taking something for the acid, as many times doctors will either prescribe or recommend something to help you with that indigestion.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Wednesday.
I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.
Please remember to press "Accept"

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. The reason why i am scared is because the burning doesn't just happen when i eat but also when i cough to clear mucus in my throat. I am only 7 weeks pregnant so don't know if it is baby. I have had the doctor listen to my lungs sevaral times in the past month and everytime he says it is clear. would acid reflux cause burning if a cough hard? As i am an ex smoker of 11 years i am so scared and i am scared i will lose my baby.
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
You are an ex-smoker so that shouldn't be an issue. GERD causes coughing, so even that simple cough could be a sign of GERD. I understand that you are feeling the that issues even without "gas" but with the cough as well. It is very likely that you are having a bit of reflux and coughing, all the while having the pain. Since your lungs are clear and you yourself said that there really isn't any breathing issues, it points to the stomach.