Dr PG M.D.
Dr PG M.D., Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MS

In Aug 08 I was found with a renal cyst on my right kidney,

In Aug 08 I was found with a renal cyst on my right kidney, my doctor recommended I get rechecked in 6 months which I did and on 1-27-09 he noted: "Renal cyst is still present and remains bening appearing and unchanged. Further surveillance is advised. I do think there is a benefit in getting a urologist's opinion." I have an urologist appointment Jul 2, 2009, but want additional information.

I recently started to have some discomfort on my right side from time to time. I initially thought it may be the bed I was sleeping on as I was working out of town at the time.

My question is what is the possibility that the cyst would start to grow when there was no change prior 6 months? What is the possibility the cyst would became cancerous?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr PG M.D. replied 7 years ago.
There are various types of kidney cysts. Broadly there is a simple and a complex cyst. A simple cyst is quite harmless and there is no risk of it getting converted to cancer. A simple cyst can rarely cause flank discomfort occasionally, otherwise it does not cause any symptoms. A complex cyst on the other hand can rarely cause cancer and can increase in size. So, in your case, the next step is to differentiate whether you have a simple cyst or a complex cyst based on the radiological findings and an examination.