Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

Had recent thyroidectomy and post op acute hypocalcemia. Had

Customer Question

Had recent thyroidectomy and post op acute hypocalcemia. Had 3 days of calcium infususions to treat tetany and am on 2000 mg oral calcium. My calcium levels in normal range however still receive cramps in arms and hands which were mostly affected and eye nerve endings tingle occasionally. Is this to be expected ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Cramps may be related to the previous low levels however would also suggest that you need additional monitoring to ensure that other causes of cramps relating to electrolytes are not missed.

So do have a repeat urea and electrolyte test

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thankyou for your reply but I don't think this answers my question sufficiently. I was hoping for an endincrinologists opinion on the long term effects of hypocalcemia and acquired hypoparathyroidism
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

I do not know if we have a endocrinologist online however I will opt out to see if anyone lese can help you.

regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
Did they do anything to the parathyroid?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been informed that the parathyroid will have either been damaged or one of the glands accidently removed during the surgery. Whether an attempt to wean me off the calcium supplements will be made in several mths time I do not know as yet. It has sort of been suggested that the damage is probably permanent due to the severity of the tetany or seizures but then again vary little has been said. I think that the delay in treatment of approx 10 or so hours did not help as there was no protocol in place. I was told that they had not seen anyone with tetany as bad as myself and were therefore not looking out for any post op complications. Fortunately my work colleagues are Ent consultants and general surgeons therefore I have a good understanding of what has happened but an endocrinologist is best place to advise me of the long term expectations if any.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, Can you just confirm if I accept that I am not paying twice as a payment has already been deducted

Thanks