Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I am afraid to eat because sometimes I get such strong urges

Customer Question

I am afraid to eat because sometimes I get such strong urges for a BM that I can barely make it to the toilet. I have had several accidents (at home, thank goodness}   My colonoscopy was normal . Do probiotics help. Hope you can help me
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.
Hello

Do you notice this when you eat certain types of foods?

Are you in any medication?

What is your age?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for the reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 70 years old. I notice symptoms occur after I eat salads, and most non starchy foods. I am on no medication except vitamins

Thanks for the reply

Sounds like you might have a simple case of irritable bowel syndrome or the like. Irritable bowel doesn't cause changes in bowel tissue, or increase your risk for colon cancer, and can be managed quite well. No one knows for sure what causes IBS except that the nerves and muscles in the bowel appear to be extra sensitive in people with IBS. These muscles may contract too much when you eat. These contractions can cause cramping and diarrhea during or shortly after a meal. Or the nerves may react when the bowel stretches, causing cramping or pain. You may only have mild symptoms as many people do. As of yet, there are only 2 medications that exist to treat IBS and other treatments includes other types of drugs including anti-diarrheal medications. Also, your Colonscopy could have been normal with IBS if your case is only a mild one.

Typically Probioitcs do not help with IBS except for the gas that might accompany it or the constipation that people sometimes experience. Of course, Probiotics such as Activa and Align will not hurt you to use them, so it would be worth a try. Also, IBS patients are often told to avoid eating raw vegetables as they cause excess gas and can lead to an attack...which is what you were describing as the urge to go to the bathroom soon after eating. Also, if you only have a mild form of IBS, you might not even have diarrhea...only the cramping urgency to have a BM and a normal BM....it is only the cramping and urgency symptoms you are having.

Of course, I cannot diagnose you here, but from what you have described, it sounds very consistant with IBS.

If you symptoms continue to bother you or they worsen, you could contact the Dr who did the colonscopy (If you have a GI Dr) and make them aware of your symptoms and they can give you something to take for it. But I would try diet modification first. Start trying to eliminate these things that you know will cause the urgency and see if this helps, if so, you might can control your own symptoms with diet modification.

Hope this helps!

********************

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by JustAnswer.com and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.