Mel.
Mel., Nurse
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.
11403612

my grandchild has rota virus where is it coming from and what

my grandchild has rota virus where is it coming from and what is the cause of it and how can you treat and prevent it how long does it take to get him well again.
Category: Health
Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

Hello Kathleen,

Rotavirus is a highly contageous condition among children, and your grandchild may have picked it up from absolutely anywhere

There is no specific treatment for rotavirus. For people with healthy immune systems, rotavirus infection of the bowel (gastroenteritis) is a self-limited illness, lasting for only a few days. The treatment consists of increased fluid intake to prevent dehydration. About one in 40 children with rotavirus infection of the bowel requires hospitalization for intravenous fluid, if the parents do not make sure that the child drinks enough.

Do not allow milk or eggs as these will increase the diarrhoea and cause even more dehydration.

Rotavirus infection usually resolves after three to nine days of symptoms. .

I do hope your grandchild is feeling better soon.

With very best wishes

Mel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what medication or vitamins can we give him and what can he drink

he is diagnosed with reflux since his birth

what can we give him to build up his immune system

thanks

kathleen
Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

Hello again Kathleen,

While he has rotavirus he can eat and drink anything as long as it is not milk or eggs.

To keep his immune system healthy and indeed to build it up, is largely down to diet.

However before I get into that I will just say that allowing him to be exposed to all childhood diseases such as chickenpox, measles etc: WILL in fact boost his immune system and protect him against such illnesses in later life. Childhood diseases are always much more serious for adults so if you make sure he gets them while he is young you will be immunising him for life and strengthen his immune system.

Good nutrition is essential to developing and keeping the immune system healthy and strong. Nutritional deficiencies may be responsible for chronic immune problems as it is easier for bacteria or viruses to take hold when important nutrients are missing.

The main nutrients that stimulate a strong immune system include vitamins A, C, E and essential fatty acids. The most important minerals include manganese, selenium, zinc, copper, iron, sulfur, magnesium and germanium.

These nutrients can be obtained from an organic whole-foods diet consisting of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans, and whole grains.

Processed foods, sugar, and soda can weaken the immune system. These add nothing in the way of nutrition, and if children fill up on a lot of them, they are not likely to eat healthy foods with essential nutrients. This can lead to a weak immune system.

Dietary fats can either enhance or impair immune function, depending on the type of fat. The wrong types of fats (hydrogenated oils found in deep fried foods, margarine and baked goods) can leave a child open to recurrent infections and inflammatory conditions.

Essential fatty acids (the good fats) are essential to normal immune and nervous system function. They are found in flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, hemp seed oil, borage seed oil, and fish oil. Cod liver oil is a great way for kids to receive essential fatty acids.

Sugar has been shown to reduce white blood cell count, an indicator of immune strength. The function of white blood cells is to fight and destroy germs that can cause disease. This is why many children get sick after birthday parties or Halloween. Their resistance is lowered due to excess sugar. Giving a child extra vitamin C and the herb echinacea for a few days before and a few days after these events may help to prevent the onset of an infection.

You may want to consider probiotic supplementation if your child has a history of antibiotic use, ear infections, oral thrush, diarrhoea, constipation, colic, food allergies, eczema, or intestinal viral infections.Probiotics are the beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract that keep the "bad" bacteria from taking over. This bacterium is essential for healthy immunity.

Acidophilus is the probiotic supplement suggested for children over age seven and bifidus for children seven or under. You can find these supplements at your local health food store.

I hope this guideline helps you Kathleen, but if there is anything further you would like to know please feel free to get back to me.

Love Mel.

Mel., Nurse
Experience: Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.