A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Customer Question

i am a mum of a 11 month old boy who i am unsure of his father.i was in a relationship with my ex for around 3 years and had unprotected sex for the whole of this time and never got pregnant.i then left my partner for a month or so and was sleeping with someone else,i then went back to my old partner and slept with him on the last day i could of got pregnant but had been sleeping with the other man also.the last time i had a period was the 19/10/2007 and this is what the scan says also.i had spoken to the health visitor about this and she and a doctor told me that they think i am worrying over nothing as if i had been having sex with my ex partner for 3 years and not got pregnant that its very unlikely that he is the father wich i am pleased about but could u give me ur opinion please as i dont want a dna test i just want peace of mind for myself

Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I don't agree with your health visitor. The only way you can determine who the father of the child is would be to have a paternity test. This is the only way to determine paternity when you have had sex with two different men in the same month. Not everyone ovulates exactly according to schedule every month, so there is some overlap. There is no guarantee that the old boyfriend with whom you had slept for three years without getting pregnant is not the father. It could have been either of them.