Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

tight muscle and runs from my rib cage down to my waist (

Customer Question

Hi there, I am a 29 year old female who has had 2 youngest being 9 mths. I have this pain on my left side that feels like a tight muscle and runs from my rib cage down to my waist (more along the backside than front). I assumed it was a tight muscle from carrying my baby. I have had this for approx 9 mths. Any thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 7 years ago.
This is called Myalgia and is seen commonly in moms while their babies are small.However nothing to worry.Apply ice massage to area not more than 15 minutes avoiding the ribs.After 3 days of ice treatment apply hot comprsessions to area for 3 more days.Take a pain killer tab Ibuprofen 500 mg twice aday for 5 days.You can also apply some pain killer massage cream over the area like indomethacin or Ibuprofen cream.Dont keep on carrying the baby at the same side.
Hope it was helpful.