Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

breast lump and had a mammogram..ultrasound..radiologist..glands

I am 42 years old and stopped nursing my newborn about 4 weeks ago. Two weeks ago I found a breast lump and had a mammogram which came back clean and also had a breast ultrasound. The radiologist said the lump looks like the result of a cluster of glands that are stacked on top of each other. He didn't see any masses, cysts, or tumors. I am wondering : should a breast biopsy have been done? I am still nervous having the lump there. My mom's sister is a 30 year breast cancer survivor. I also get some armpit pain now and then on my left side but I also carry my two year old as well as push the stroller with ia newborn in it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
You should not worry much about this.

Since this has been only 4 weeks since you stopped nursing, this is very likely swollen milk glands. These are quite common when nursing is stopped. Sometimes there may be pain also when a lot of milk gets collected. After some time, the glands will stop secreting and then the lump will automatically come down.

Since the radiologist did not see any mass or tumours, you have no cause to worry or think about getting a biopsy.

This is just part of the natural process that occurs when nursing is stopped.

However, you should show the results to your doctor for a final confirmation.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the quick response. I can now relax with this medical information. I appeciate it so much! Now I can sleep.