Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

micro vascular brain disease can you give us some information

Hi
my father in law has just been diagnosed with micro vascular brain disease
can you give us some information on this medical condition so that we can understand it
how long would he have to live
regards
Sharon
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Do you know if he has any symptoms?

Was this diagnosed with a MRI?

Why was the MRI done in the first place?

Does he have a history of smoking? High blood pressure? High cholesterol?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi

Just phoned my husband
symptoms are, memory loss, fatigue and no appetite
he was only admitted to hospital yesterday, he could answer some questions, could not dress himself
before this he just slept most of the time
as far as he knows it was diagnosed with a MRI
he does have high blood pressure and diabetes type 2

also is there any treatment available
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
OK.

This condition, of microvascular disease in the brain -- is something that generally occurs over years.

Years of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, diabetes, etc -- all the risk factors for heart disease can also affect the arteries in the brain.

These arteries then start to harden, and affect small areas of the brain, creating "white matter changes" -- or changes to the brain itself, but often unnoticed because they are very small areas of the brain that are being affected.

However, after years, when these multiple small areas that are affected add up, you can get cognitive slowing, and symptoms that are similar to dementia.

This can be called "vascular dementia":

Read more about it here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vascular-dementia/ds00934

Unfortunately, because it involves the small arteries in the brain, there really is no treatment available for this -- just best to try and prevent it from worsening, by controlling blood pressure and the diabetes.

Of course, without knowing the actual results of the MRI, the above is simply my guess at what is going on, so speaking with his doctor/neurologist for a diagnosis is the best way to confirm this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
o.k

I have just been told that it was a ct scan done, not an mri
it also showed a massive growth on the brain
don't know if this makes any difference to the information you have already provided
many thanks
Sharon
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Yes, this is an entirely different description than "microvascular brain disease".

A massive growth on the brain is concerning for some kind of tumor -- either within or outside of the brain.

Either way, further characterization with a MRI is helpful, along with a consultation with a neurosurgeon. Until those things are done, it's hard to say what this could be.