Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

Ive been extremely fatigued for the past several months and

I've been extremely fatigued for the past several months and I am unable to lose weight. I have difficulty with memory and concentration and do not feel like myself. My recent lab results showed my thyroid was normal and the results for my hormone levels were fine too. However, my hemoglobin level was considered high (6.4) and my doctor was concerned as my previous results were normal. What could be the problem?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 7 years ago.

The normal range of haemoglobin for a man is 13.5 to 17.5 g/dl and for a woman is 11.5 to 15.5 g/dl

Are you sure that the level of haemoglobin is 6.4 ?

Age and sex?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I believe the nurse referenced Hemoglobin "A" test. Is this a different test that yields a different normal range?
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 7 years ago.

she might have checked- hemoglobin A1c test.

The hemoglobin A1C test is a valuable measure of the overall effectiveness of blood glucose control over a period of time.

In patients with poorly controlled diabetes, this level is 8.0% or above, and in well controlled patients it's less than 7.0%.

For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c test is between 4% and 6%

Also Kidney disease and liver disease may also affect the result of the hemoglobin A1c test. This has resulted in the fatigue and tired feeling

My opinion is that,please make an appointment with doctor, so that appropriate management is adviced

i wish for your good health.