Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I wonder that I am having a kidney infection due to my back

I wonder that I am having a kidney infection due to my back pain on the left hand side around flank area. Last week I had back pain the same area but on the right hand side and it gone away in 2-3 days. A few days later I have a back pain again and this time it's on left hand side and this time I feel it worse than last week. I had a urinary system infection 2 weeks ago, and the doctor gave me the antibiotic for 5 days. I thought it's gone away because I feel better just a few pain when I pee but I thought because of my period so I did not really take it serious until now. Please suggest me how should I take care myself until I get a chance to see a doctor which is going to be on Thursday morning?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

The best thing you can do for a kidney infection, or in your case, since you are not sure if it is or not, is to push fluids. You need to drink plenty of water and things like cranberry juice to help flush out your system. You can also take something like Tylenol or Advil for the back and flank pain (as long as you are not allergic to either one) and get plenty of rest.

I would suggest that if you begin to run a fever, or have blood in your urine, that you let the Dr know that you will be seeing on Thursday in case he/she wants to see you before then. Also, if you begin to have pain while urinating, you can take some over the counter AZO Standard tablets sold at your local big chain store. It is basically a urinary numbing type agent but you should only take these on a temporary basis (for only a couple of days) and be aware it can make your urine a bright orange color and can sometimes stain contact lenses.

Hope this helps!

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.