Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

My wife was diagnosed with CBD about two years ago. She is

My wife was diagnosed with CBD about two years ago. She is having LOTS of pain now, mostly in her left arm (the right arm has been useless for a year). The pain is fairly new, but severe enought that she is confied to bed and has great difficulty in moving at all.. Her speach is slow and hard to understand. She tires ealily and getting weaker daily.

The pain problem is the newest pase of the her disease. I don't find any mention of this in the CBD literature. Is it possibel that she may have someting else that is treataable? We have seen 3 neurologists and they all THINK that the symptoms are CBD, but none are certtain, even after extensive tests.

Her right arm started going first, but she had no pain in it. Now her left arm is going too, but with considerable pain. What do you reccomend that we do next?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
Although not common, sensaory changes are a part of CBD. Ths University of California site also mentions it. Link.

Her symptoms are very typical of CBD and this is almost certainly the cause. The sensory symptom of pain is also, as I mentioned, often present although an uncommon presentation of CBD and so this does not rule it out.

Some of the treatment options available for the pain which you should discuss with her doctor are:

Exercise: Exercise is the primary treatment in all cases. You need to exercise regularly for this.

Anti-depressants: antidepressants like tricyclic antidepressants can often help.

Pain killers: Pain killers like NSAIDS are the first choice of treatment. For chronic intractable pain, narcotic analgesics like Vicodin may be given. They can be combined with drugs like phenytoin, carbamazepine, or tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline for very severe pain.

Anti-seizure drugs: Drugs like Tegretol can also help with this.

TENS: transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation unit provies low voltage electrical current which interrupts the pain signals. It can be applied permanently.

You should discus these options with her doctor for pain relief.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.