Doctor Mark
Doctor Mark, Doctor
Experience:  board certified in Internal Medicine. Over 30 years of geriatric and primary care experience
19706630

My Platelet count was over 600 and my iron is 6. What does

Customer Question

My Platelet count was over 600 and my iron is 6. What does an above normal platlet count mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Mark replied 7 years ago.
Your platelet count is 600,000. Over 400,000 is abnormal. Your iron level is low and suggests iron deficiency anemia. That's often due to blood loss from the intestines or stomach. When a person has anemia, there's stress on the bone marrow to make more blood cells and to release stored cells. So the platelet count goes up then. There are many other causes of high platelets, but with the low iron I'd go with my first thought.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been looked at internally from both ends. I am not bleeding inside. What else could it be? I had a hystrectomy 9 years ago.
Did you have a ferritin level? That's the best test for iron deficiency. You could also have a bone marrow disease with overproduction of platelets. YOu need to see a hematologist next.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't recall the ferritin level.
You need to ask why your platelet count is high and why the iron is low. I'm sorry I can't be more specific without more lab results.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry. This didn't help me at all. Thanks anyway
ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I didn't find any of the answers helpful.
Hi, as I explained, iron deficiency anemia makes the platelet count increase. Hope that helps.