Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
18529113

If I have a panic/ anxiety attack what are good there is a

Customer Question

If I have a panic/ anxiety attack what are good there is a tendency that once I start getting anxious it just gets worse and worse and I can't stop it. This is causing me many sleepless nights. I need to stop the anxiety so I can relax enough to fall asleep.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in tonight. What you are describing is very common. Once your anxiety starts, you can lose your ability to effectively cope; therefore, anxiety can keep building and become difficult to control. Anxiety can cause a great deal of sleeping disorder, including insomnia. In your particular case and based on your description of the anxiety as it builds, it sounds like you do have a legitimate anxiety disorder. You will need to be evaluated by a provider. You can both talk about a treatment regimen. By treatment regimen, I don't mean only pharmaceuticals. There is a wide variety of options, depending on your needs. For example, some options may include therapy (perhaps there is a core issue causing your anxiety), meditation, visualization techniques, deep breathing exercises, sound and aroma therapies. As for pharmaceuticals, there is a wide variety of medications to treat both anxiety and insomnia. Also, anxiety can sometimes be a symptom of other disorders, such as depression.

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, concerns, or would like this information clarified, please let me know.

Ms. Lisa

Until you can get in with your provider, you may consider trying some of techniques to promote sleep. I had a great list once. I will try and find one for you.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Often at night I get anxiety and panic attacks and worry about going to sleep in case something happens when I'm asleep. I know this is a fabrication of my mind but how do I calm myself or relax myself in the immediate short term so I can get to sleep. Long term I plan on continuing with the acupuncture and seeking professional treatment.

Hello;

Thank you for responding. The fact that your anxiety even permeates your sleep is concerning. You will likely need professional intervention and management. In the meantime, I am attaching some links for you to read and review. They may offer some suggestions to help you sleep and calm your anxiety until you can seek care. I would recommend seeking evaluation as soon as possible. Although this is likely related to a psychological problem, anxiety can be a symptom of a physical problem too. I realize that the you may be familiar with some of the information presented, such as reducing stress and caffeine intake; however, you may discover something new. Also, if you do not have a specific bedtime routine and a set bedtime/wake schedule. I would strongly encourage this. Also, if you are having some problems in your life, I would encourage you to use your support system, friends and family, to lean on. Sometimes just talking about stress and problems can be very therapeutic.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990401ap/990401g.html

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/tc/anxiety-home-treatment

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-facts-information/faculty-lounge

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, concerns, or would like to discuss this further, please let me know.

Ms. Lisa