How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 890
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Type Your Health Question Here...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been experiencing pain in my right groin with no noticable

Customer Question

I have been experiencing pain in my right groin with no noticable swelling. The pain comes and goes, and has been going on for a little over a week. I haven't done any exercising so it not a pulled muscle. No other symptoms. I am a 44yr old white female. I am getting pretty concerned. Should I visit my GP or GYN? What are possible causes since there is no swelling?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for writing in today.


Generally, with a groin pain, there is a specific event that percipitates the complaint, or sometimes there are associated symptoms, such as swelling, redness, etc.. Since your pain is generalized without any associated symptoms or history of precipitating event, such as exercise, I would recommend evaluation by your provider.


There are many things that could cause pain in this area. Obviously, bone or joint disorders, such as arthritis could cause this pain. However, less obvious conditions should be considered. These less obvious conditions can include ovarian, kidney, or bowel problems that can cause referred pain. In particular, ovulating women do often report some groin discomfort during ovulation.


At this point, I would recommend your GP. You will need a complete physical exam, focusing on range of motion of your joints, sensation, reflexes, and strength of the legs. You will also likely need a comprehensive assessment, particularly of the abdominal area. When you do see your provider, provide a detailed gyn history, including date of last menstrual period.


I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, concerns, or would like to discuss this further, please let me know.


Ms. Lisa



Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN and other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you mentioned bowels. I have on occaisson, felt this intense heavy feel like I need to move my bowels with extreme discomfort that it woke me up at 4AM. I have regular movements daily. Could this be related? What could it mean?
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

If you do have some constipation or other bowel disorder, such as diverticulitis, this could cause referred pain to that area. This reinforces the need to see your GP, rather than Gyn. To be honest, I would discuss this with your provider. This may be related. I would think that your provider may recommend an abdominal film and possibly a colonoscopy or ultrasound. I would definitely pursue this, especially if this has been happening recently. Also, keep in mind that pain with defecation (stooling) can be related to problems other than the bowels, such as ovarian or uterine problems.


If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.


Ms. Lisa