A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have hypertension and I am taking lopressor and lotrel to

Customer Question

I have hypertension and I am taking lopressor and lotrel to treat it. I have been discussing with my doctor other medications because after a year of taking these medicines there has not been a dramatic change with my blood pressure. My doctor refuses to change medications any suggestions on a different medication to use along with lopressor instead of lotrel I can bring up with my doctor?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. How much of each are you taking? What is your blood pressure?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
lopressor 50mg 2x a day lotrel 10/40mg blood pressure today 150/100. i am a medical assistant student and that was my reading today when my vitals were checked

Thanks for the additional information. The Lopressor is a cardio-selective beta blocker (metoprolol) while Lotrel is a combination drug that is 10 mg amlodipine (a calcium channel blocker) plus 40 mg benazepril (an ACE inhibitor). You are getting the three best types of hypertension medications in just two pills. Normal dosage of Lopressor is 100-450 mg per day in two divided doses. We don't usually change drugs until the dosages of the ones someone is on are maxed out. Your doctor may want to increase the Lopressor, or go to Lopressor HCT 50/25 which also includes a diuretic.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for clearing this up for me. I wish my doctor was able to be more compassionate and take time to explain. This information was very helpful.
You're so very welcome, and many thanks for the nice bonus. Good luck with your blood pressure.