Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

scheduled to have a botox-A injection in exactly six weeks

I am scheduled to have a botox-A injection in exactly six weeks. My doctor nor did the nurses inform me whether I would be sedated for the shot. The location of the injection will be into my external anal sphincter due to the fact that it involuntarily becomes narrower when defecation occurs. Do you think I will have to be sedated? I am rather hesitant to contact my physician's office to inquire.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Generally, this is not a procedure that requires sedation.

Using sedation adds a significant amount of cost and risk to what should be a simple procedure.

Of course, there will be some discomfort just due to the pain from the needle in this area, but it will be over quickly, and without the use of sedation, you will be able to walk out of the office and go right home.

(Sedation would require more staff, IV and oxygen monitoring, and for you to be monitored for a few hours afterwards, all of which is often not possible in a regular doctor's office.)