Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I went ot the ER with skipped beats.. all results were fine

I went ot the ER with skipped beats.. all results were fine except the dmier.. they did a cast scan with die and it was fne.... my number was 1000 soemthign... why coudl this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying the D-Dimer result was 1000 something?

And they performed a CT scan of the chest with dye, which was OK?

Have you had a recent injury, infection, surgery, pregnancy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you saying the D-Dimer result was 1000 something? yes

And they performed a CT scan of the chest with dye, which was OK? yes

Have you had a recent injury, infection, surgery, pregnancy? no
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
OK.

Well, doctors often perform this D-dimer test to "rule out" a pulmonary embolism, a potentially serious blood clot in the lungs -- but the elevated levels told your doctors that the PE could have been a possibility. (A low level would have ruled it out).

So, then they performed a CT scan to ensure that you did not have a clot in the lungs.

But this elevated D-dimer is a result of conditions that can cause clotting (and other inflammation) including:

DVT (clots in the legs)
pulmonary embolism
recent surgery
recent injuries
recent infections
pregnancy
heart issues
cancers
and others:
http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/d_dimer/test.html

So the test by itself is useful if it is negative (low), since it would have ruled out a pulmonary embolus.

But the elevated number is XXXXX since so many things can cause an elevation of this. Your regular doctor can help figure out if this is significant or not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
DVT (clots in the legs)- how would I know?
pulmonary embolism- cat scan ruled this out rihgt?
recent surgery- none
recent injuries-none
recent infections- none
pregnancy- no
heart issues- postrtior orthstatic tachycardua syndrome.. some svts
cancers- dont know
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Well, considering that you are young, it's unlikely that cancer is an issue.

The skipped beats you are experiencing would not be responsible for a D-dimer elevation as well.

Your doctor can arrange for a doppler study (ultrasound) of the legs to evaluate for blood clots in the legs, if it is a worry.

And yes, the CT scan ruled out the pulmonary embolism.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i asked th er doctor to do theultrasound on my legs but he sai dhe didn tthinkit was necessary becasye i had no swollen nor pain.... what other thing coul attrivbute to this? btw thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Well, if you have no clinical symptoms of a clot in the legs, a scan would probably be unneccesary, as the doctor mentioned.

The elevated level could have very well been in error, if the blood was clotted in the test tube improperly.

And if you read the link, it details the the other possible causes, though if you are otherwise OK, perhaps the best thing to do is to discuss this with your regular doctor and have a followup lab drawn.
http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/d_dimer/test.html#what
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
now i went to urgent care this morning and they drew blood form one arm and put time an IV in the other... and then wen tI went to the ER.. thy again took bllod fromthe same blood arm and put an Iv onthe ohter Iv arm as before... coudl this have resulted ina false positive since takingblood out coudl have caused blood clotting...
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Probably not.

But the best way to figure this out is to have it rechecked.
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery