Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma

my blood pressure has been spiking at various times during

my blood pressure has been spiking at various times during the day, 147/103 . couldn't get in to seem my doctor, but was referred to fnp, who changed my medication from atenolol 50 mg. to bystolic 5 mg. once daily. everything i've read says not to stop taking atenolol suddenly. will this be a problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 7 years ago.

Bystolic is also a beta blocker like atenolol and so you can stop it abruptly - what you have read is correct but that applies whne you would have been shifted to another class of anti hypertensive medications.

It is alright to change th emedications as you have been prescribed.

Let me know if i can help you further.

Please click - ACCEPT if you find this helpful so that i get paid for my work . A bonus would be appreciated.

Best regards.