Dr. Ryan
Dr. Ryan, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor in Nursing, 3+ years nursing experience, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
11446854

I am taking 20mg oxycontin once a day and 5mg twice a dayfor

I am taking 20mg oxycontin once a day and 5mg twice a dayfor pain following laminectomy.
What is the easiest way to come off this meds?
Can i take Tylinol 2or 3 instead?

Hello, and first of all I'm glad to hear you're looking forward to getting off of these medications, hopefully this will be the last time you'll have to take this caliber of pain control.

There are a variety of medications out there that could be a stepping stone off for you, including the Tylenol 2 or 3. If you've used these in the past and they've worked for you, it may be a good route to take. You can start by using them in place of a dose each day, and then gradually switch over to them as you can tolerate. Another medication often used for this is Percocet, or you could try Ultram/Ultracet. The trick is going to be tapering off at a good pace, while still maintaining your pain control.

Another class of useful medications to use as well are the NSAIDs, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories such as celebrex, naprosyn, or ibuprofen. There are also a couple new options in patch or gel form, such as Voltaren gel, which you can apply to the area. These are good too because they can be used in conjunction with the narcotics.

So the best route will probably be a combination of a lesser strength narcotic (Percocet, Tylenol, Vicodin etc), along with an NSAID, until you can gradually taper off of the narcotic, and just rely on the NSAID for intermittent pain control.

I hope this helps, I realize I mentioned a lot of different medications. Please reply if you have further questions. Good Luck...

Please ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the accept button

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are greatly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship