Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Pain in upper back that radiates down the right arm

For 4 weeks now I have had pain in the back right side of my neck. It started as a stiffness but I could function ok. Then I spent 6 hours unpacking boxes of heavy cooking utensils and kitchen appliances while moving house. Within 48 hours I was in so much pain that day to day activities became very difficult. The only relief came from lying on my back with my arms overhead. The pain was still back right side of the neck but now with pain radiating down the right arm like nerve pain ending in a band of pain across the metacarpals. I have just left my country to live in Malaysia and I saw a spine surgeon here. He said it is possible I have cervical spondylosis but I have not had tests to confirm this. I have a background of regular weight training and work in the fitness industry. I was in an car accident 13 years ago in which I had a mild whiplash when hit from the left side and causing my head to jerk back to the back and right. I am now 43.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 5 years ago.
As such there may be possibility of Cervical Spondylosis more likely in your case .

Cervical spondylosis is caused by wear and tear of the vertebrae and discs in the neck.

You need to undergo X-ray of Cervical spine which is very essential in your case.

Your doctor may advise you a cervical collar with some pain relieving medication.
You should do regularly walk or engage in low-impact aerobic activity and neck exercises.
You should take some preventive measures as well.
You should also go for physiotherapy under a medical supervision of a physiotherapist .
You should do gentle massage on neck .
I suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for that. I was looking at the information and would like to add that my balance is not affected, I have control of my bowels, my gait is not affected and my reflexes are normal. As I am not getting many of the symptoms that seem to be characteristic of this condition I am starting to wonder if something else isn't pressing on to the nerve. I am already having physiotherapy (for the last 4 weeks). I will go and get the xray but was wondering if you have anything else to add based on this information?
Cervical spondylosis is a general term for age-related wear and tear affecting the joints in your neck.Cervical spondylosis may compress one or more of the spinal nerves branching out of the cervical vertebra a condition called cervical radiculopathy

As such your symptoms suggest the possibility of pinched nerve in the neck. ( Cervical radiculopathy)
Cervical radiculopathy is caused by any condition that puts pressure on the nerves where they leave the spinal column.

Mechanical neck pain usually starts in the neck and may spread to include the upper back or shoulder. It rarely extends below the shoulder .

The pain from cervical radiculopathy usually spreads further down the arm than mechanical neck pain .

So you should undergo an X-Ray examination of the cervical spine ( AP and lateral views) for further evaluation and management .

I hope this helps
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.