A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

BLood pressure spikes why EVERY night increases

Customer Question

i have been to emergency twice now. ANd, the problem is that i get blood pressure spikes. last night at 11 pm i dozed off and woke up to a numb hand and another spike of 190/115. I was spinning in my kitchen, grabbed peanut butter , banana, toast, oatmeal...and the bp gradually went down, however it was still quite high in the hospital, and they took an EKG and a ultrasound of the heart and a general blood test. Even checked urine. ALL ok. I am beyond worried that i will get a stroke, as these spikes cannot be healthy.
I had some chest pain as well. Peed alot. They checked my blood sugar and it was 12. WELL of course after i ate all those sweets .
Please help.
Every night around 5pm and in the evenings, my blood pressure goes up...why is this?
i only sleep 2 hours than get up to go to the washroom. I find if i urinate my bp goes down...than back to sleep for another 3 hours and up at 5:30. Cant sleep past that.

What is your opinion?

John 44 years old
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Are you a diabetic? What medications do you take?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no knowledge that i am a diabetic. All i know is life has been a long road for me, because after about 3 hours, i get visual changes and i go for a bannanna, popcorn, peanut butter, potatoes, rice, chicken....honey...reason being,....it knocks down my blood pressure and my neurological symptoms, however....maybe from injesting those foods my sugar level stays up, because i urinate like crazy after the fact until i balance out....and than....whammie....the 3 hour cycle starts again....

Thanks for the additional information. No amount of sweets will make the blood glucose of a person who is not diabetic soar to 12. Most never get above 8, or possibly a 9 with all the carbohydrates in the world. You need to be checked for diabetes and get on a treatment program. I expect what is happening is that you are having reactive hypoglycemia which occurs when you eat too many carbohydrates at a sitting. In a few hours your blood glucose drops precipitously - even enough to wake you up feeling weak, sweaty, dizzy, with blood pressure fluctuations. With medication and a proper diet you should be able to sleep better and your blood glucose levels should be between 5 and 7. Please see your medical provider for testing as soon as you can arrange it.