Doctor G.
Doctor G., Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine / Cardiology / Endocrine questions
12907602

Why are you not supposed to rub androgel on your genitals

I take androgel for hypogonadism and wonder why you are not supposed to apply it to the genitals. It seems like if that's the area that is lacking production, it'd make the most sense to apply it right to the source of the problem.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the question.
This is a very common question. The reason why that recommendation stands is because the tests that were done with androgel were not done on the genital region. It's affects on the groin area, specifically, have not been studied. Also androgel contains 67% ethyl alcohol and once applied may have deleterious effects of the arteries (and general vasculature of the genitals). It's better off not to use it on the groin area.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Monday.
I hope I’ve been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.
Please remember to press "Accept"

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What sort of effects on arteries? A general weakening of their structure?
Expert:  Doctor G. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. The effects may cause weakening of the structure, you are correct. Alcohol is a sclerosis agent. This means that if alcohol is injected directly into the vessels, it will destroy them. Since the testicles are so rich in blood supply, long term (or possibly even short term) application may have that sclerosing effect on them.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Monday.
Please remember to press "Accept"