Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I am experiencing tingling in my entire body. It wakes me

I am experiencing tingling in my entire body. It wakes me up in the middle of the night. No pain just tingling. I am 74 and always been in good health, and active. I have arthritis in my neck on the left side. Have had that for over 30years. Never really bothered me. Could somthing be pressing on a nerve? Went to my Doctor in January when this started and she said could be muscle spasms. Gave me muscle relaxers. Helped me sleep but did not take care of the problem. Went to acupunturist, chiropractor and massage therapist. Still the same. I am a non-smoker, drink very little and watch my diet.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thanks for the question today

Is the tingling only noticed during the night? Does it go away shortly after it wakes you up?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tingling continues during the day but not as must as when I am in bed. When I am active it improves a little.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have arthritis in my neck on the left side for the past 30 years. Never seemed to bother me. Could it be pinching a nerve in my spinal cord?

Ok, thanks for the reply

I have a couple of things for you and your Dr to consider.

If the tingling was confined to your hands and arms, it would be rightfully considered to be nerve entrapment in your cervical spine. Same goes for your legs and feet...could be nerve entrapment in your lumbar spine or a disc putting pressure on a nerve and the feeling 'tingling' or numbness might occur. However, with tingling being felt in the whole body that continues most of the day...but that is noted to improve slightly with being active poses a different scenaria. There are several causes for tingling being felt in the whole body, first is lack of oxygen or too much carbon dioxide as a whole. For example, when people hyperventilate, they will feel the sensations of tingling in the body. Other conditions such as Pernicious Anemia is known to cause tingling like this. Arthritic bones and arthritis in general, circulatory disorders, lead poisioning, hypothyriodism, B12 deficiency, and other diseases such as diabetes can cause a condition that is perceived as tingling.

I would have the Dr do some blood test for starters and see what that reveals.

I see you asked if a pinched nerve in the neck could cause the tingling...as I mentioned above, it certainly could....but would not be felt throughout the whole body....mainly it would be in the hands and arms and possibly the shoulders..but not in your lower body. If your tingling is mainly felt up high, say, in your arms and hands, then yes, it could certainly be a pinched nerve in your neck and that would explain why it bothers you more in bed. AND, you can't also rule out a pinched nerve or nerve entrapment in the lumbar spine (lower back) for the cause of tingling in the lower body. In this case, MRI would be helpful in determining the extent of the nerve entrapment in both areas.

Hope this helps

********************

Your $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me unless you click ACCEPT. JustAnswer.com will hold your deposit and it will not be released to me for my efforts and time. So please remember that if my answer has provided some insight or information, please click ACCEPT so that I can continue to help others. Let me know if more clarification is needed.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.