Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

how long does thc stay in the fetus system how long does it

Customer Question

how long does thc stay in the fetus system? how long does it take to cleanse out the fetus system?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 5 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information; therefore, I do have a few questions.

Is this regarding a person smoking marijuana while pregnant?

Is this person concerned that the baby will test positive for marijuana when the baby is delivered?

Can you just give me the basic scenario?

Please let me know.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well this is reguarding pregnant women smoking marijuana while pregnant. I have looked up research but not came up with a thuro answer. I know there are no known studies proving that marijuana is harmful to the fetus other than maybe contributing to low birth wieght if even that. I have even heard scenarios where a dr. prescribes it for nausea and as an appetite stimulator. While pregnant how long does marijuana stay in the womans system and the fetus? I heard all hospitals drug test fetus at birth but is it every born fetus or only those with reasonable doubt of suspected drug use? im trying to figure out how long it would need to be stopped to get out of fetus system by birth?

I understand. I'll try to address them in order. Yes, some people in third world countries do use marijuana for nausea and appetite stimulation. Generally, during pregnancy, THC and it's metabolites do not cross the maternal/fetal barrier, until late in the third trimester. A mother will test positive for TCH roughly 30 days after exposed, general estimate. At birth, depending on maturation and metabolic functioning, some newborns may test positive. Also, the placenta may show signs of smoking. More and more hospitals are testing for drugs at time of delivery. There is some evidence that marijuana use can cause low birth weight, similar to cigarette use. Also, some evidence indicates that younger mothers may deliver earlier when using marijuana. However, research is conflicting in this area. It is best for a mother to stop smoking marijuana while pregnant. It's is especially important to quit in the third trimester when the baby is most susceptible to TCH and metabolites. I am attaching a link for you review.

http://www.acmed.org/english/faq/01-pregnancy.htm

I hope this was helpful. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the third trimester is from week what to week what? so say it is someone who is not a habitual user and only smoke like once or twice? would the duration of it being in the system be shortened?

The third trimester goes from week 28 to delivery. A habitual smoker would likely have more THC in their system than someone who has only smoked twice. The general assumption is that TCH will be detected in urine for 30 days, this can be longer or shorter in some. For the occasional user, it is usually not as long, ranging from 10-14 days detectable; however, every person is different an the body purges the metabolites differently. Although it is usually shorter, an occasional user can test positive longer, up to 30 days.

Hope this helps.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do they usually test a fetus for marijuana in the system? what are the reprcussions for this? if there are 49- 63 days left before birthing and the dr says the baby is good the weight seems good and all is good, if you only smoked once or twice in the third trimester and flushed properly with water and juice and exercised on a daily basis would they have a higher chance of gettting clean?

Drug testing depends on the hospital. Newborn drug screening can be done with urine or meconium (poop). They can also have the placenta evaluated, in addition to the urine and meconium. Generally, if a child tests positive for drugs at time of birth, Child Protective Services or Social Services are contacted. I have seen children placed in foster care after birth due to drug use. I would strongly advise against any further marijuana smoking even with 49-63 days left till delivery. First of all, the fetus is more susceptible to marijuana. Secondly, smoking marijuana can be considered unfit parenting; if testing positive, this could result in legal and custodial problems. Flushing the body with fluids does not guarantee that THC will not be detected when tested.

Ms. Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
in the states with the laws concerning marijuana usage and pregnancy, do they test every child or only those with reasonable belief it is needed to be tested? one would think that testing every child born would become very expensive..therefor are there certian markers they look for to use in decision grounds for testing the infant?

Thank you for responding. What you are asking now are legal question, which I can't answer, since I am not a legal expert. However, I can transfer this to the legal expert category, but it may be easier if you start a new question in the legal category. Let me know if you want me to transfer this question over, or if you want to start the new question with them.

Let me know.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
because the fetus is smaller than the one pregnant wouldnt have a higher metabolism to being with and flush at the same rate if not faster

No, that is not necessarily true. Fetal circulation and metabolism is different from the maternal circulation and metabolism. Maternal flushing will not have the same exact effect on the baby.

Did you want me to transfer this over to the legal department? They should be able to tell you about the laws in your state.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
in a hospital tho do they drug test all newborns or just those with reasonable doubt? or evidence

It depends on the policy of the hospital and the state. I've worked at hospitals that test all newborns. However, I don't know about your location. If it is a state law or there are criteria for testing, the legal experts would know, if you provided them with the state in question.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are we still on the same question? the same 14 dollars? how does it work if i transfer? so thirty days in womans system for a non habitual user could be less?

Yes, it could be less. This discussion has exceeded a routine question. Multiple questions have been answered; however, I don't mind, but you will need to open another discussion with the law experts.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for your time. now do i hit accept for your 14 to go thru? im new at this

You're welcome. I hope the information was helpful.

As for accepting, each time you hit accept, that will count as a charge for the question. Sometimes, people will ask many questions and hit accept more than one. Just be aware that each time you click accept that you are paying for the answers to the questions, even if it's all one page. Hope that clarifies it for you. I can be confusing sometimes.

Have a great evening.

Ms. Lisa