MasterDoc
MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years
3119816

57) and says that if he doesn?t take them he gets unbearable headaches

Hi Team, by chance I discovered that my new partner (since 2 years) takes 3 to 4 aspirins a day. He has done this for over 20 years (he is 57) and says that if he doesn´t take them he gets unbearable headaches. Is there such a thing as aspirin addiction? I would be more than grateful to receive any advice or infromation. Greetings, Collette
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 8 years ago.
Are you sure it is plain aspirin? Or is it a combination with caffeien (very common)?
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 8 years ago.
Typo: caffeine
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I´ve just checked the "ingredients" of the tablet he´s takng and we have "acetysalicyl" acid, paracetomol and coffein.
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 8 years ago.
As I suspected and feared. Just aspirin is indeed habituating but when caffeine is added it is extremely so! It is indeed VERY likely he would get a headache whenever he tries to stop this medication. He is hooked! By the way, you should know that there is evidence that suddenly stopping this medication could acutely increase his chance of a stroke or a heart attack.
Please click ACCEPT.
Feel free to ask a follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So what is the best way to proceed?
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 8 years ago.
Best would be to discuss this with an MD who can manage his care. They may want to taper the medication gradually. He also may need liver function testing to see if this combination has done any damage.
Thank you for the ACCEPT.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your answers but could you be more specific about "the problem". Are we talking about a coffein addiction here or is it it more complex?

Expert:  MasterDoc replied 8 years ago.
The definite problem is a caffeine (and possibly aspirin) habituation such that he WILL get a severe headache when he tries to stop. In addition, use of this combination regularly for years puts him at some increased risk for liver damage.
Thanks again for the ACCEPT.