MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years

I have never had sex. Pap tests are more than painful, they

I have never had sex. Pap tests are more than painful, they are unbearable. I can't really decribe how truly painful they are. I kick, practically come off the table. I know it makes it difficult for my doctor. But she insists doing one every year anyway. I want to know if the doctor can give something ahead of time to make the area numb, or something to make it less unbearable
I would appreciate an answer, thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

What part of the exam is the most painful? Can you elaborate?

Expert:  MasterDoc replied 7 years ago.
The MD COULD give you something for the pain before the pap smear. However, I doubt VERY much they would since MD's tend to treat pain not on how much pain the patient has but on how much pain MOST people have with that procedure. And most people do not have that much pain with a pelvic examination. Advil and tylenol an hour beforehand might help a little. THe other thing I question is the need for YEARLY pap smears. Many MD's would consider testing every 3 years more than adequate in your case. Please click ACCEPT. Feel free to ask a follow-up question. ANd a BONUS is always appreciated.
MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Physician for 20 years