Dr. Ketch, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University
11115704

I have pain in my upper chest, above my breasts but below my

I have pain in my upper chest, above my breasts but below my collar bones. I also have pain in my sternum area. It is worse somedays than others. I do work out 3 times a week and am pretty large breasted(38 F) what is causing this pain and should I be worried?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Ketch replied 5 years ago.
Dear Army Wifey:

I am sorry you are experiencing some pain in your chest that is limiting parts of your life. It is hard to evaluate this type of pain over the internet without asking questions. The cause of the chest pain depending on where it is ( I know you mentioned above the breasts and below the collar bone) is it one sided, central, or both sides. Does it get worse with breathing, does it get worse if you press on it, does it get worse, if you clamp both hands together and push against each other, does it get worse when you climb a flight of stairs or exert yourself? The answer to these questions will help localize whether this is muscular, bone, lung or cardiac in origing. I hope you realize the mild complexity of answering this question.

I may not be able to answer your question b/c I am in the East Coast and it is getting late here. I will check back in 5 minutes, otherwise forgive me for not getting you the answer till tomorrow evening.

Dr. Ketch, Doctor
Experience: Medical Degree, Former Assistant Professor at School of Medicine at Yale University
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does not hurt to press on it, it does hurt to take deep breaths, it in central and doesn't seem to get worse when I excert myself. I can workout just fine and the pain comes and goes. I am going on day 3 of it being hurt, I did just get over the stomach flu and was vomiting so maybe that has something to do with it? Thanks so much!
Expert:  Dr. Ketch replied 5 years ago.
Oh yes, absolutely.

Pressing on it only will ellicit muscular or joint soreness. You do NOT have that.

Pain or shortness of breath on exertion or running can be cardiac, you do NOT have that.

You have worsening of the pain with deep breaths. Thank you for giving me that tid bit of information with the stomach flu. That can cause an irritation deep inside the chest. Everytime you take a deep breath you might get a referred pain. You are absolutely healthy. Give yourself a break for a few days and let the irritation subside. Motrin will probably not help. Nothing much will help other than relaxation. Picking up your daughter will not hurt you, but you may experience some discomfort if you need to take a deep breath. Mild exercise should be okay too.

I believe this answers your question. Thank you for ACCEPTing my answer. Positive feedback helps with my Rep if you are up to it. Bonus is always appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask questions for further clarificaiton.

Nice to have met you.

Best Wishes

Dr. Ketch, Doctor
Expert:  Dr. Ketch replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the positive feedback. I appreciate it. Hope you feel better soon.

Be well