Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

My right jaw is very sore, Ive had a headache for way..right ear..ear

My right jaw is very sore, I've had a headache for way over a week, and my right ear always either feels like a bug is crawling out of it, or it tingles inside, or it feels like fluid is leaking out but nothing is ever in my ear. What could this be? thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.

There are some different things to consider, with your given symptoms. First, you may have fluid in your ear. Although it has not progressed to infection, causing ear pain at this time. It is possible to feel the fluid shifting inside of your ear. Is your hearing impaired at all? Do you feel off balance? Have you had a cold recently? Next, you need to consider if you have injury to your jaw. Did you bite down on something hard that threw your jaw out of alignment? Do you grind your teeth when you sleep ? Do you have TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder)? TMJ refers to a group of conditions that can cause pain in the area of the jaw joint and surrounding tissues, causing pain, limited movement, headaches and sometimes, vision disturbances.

Diagnosis can be made by your primary doctor initially and then you may need to see your dentist or a specialist for further treatment options.

Int he meantime, apply moist heat to your jaw and ear. This will soothe the pain. You can apply ice to your jaw, eat soft foods for a while (so your jaw can rest), avoid wide yawns and gum chewing. These treatments should help relieve the symptoms for now, while you wait for an appointment with the doctor.

Click on the website below for more info on TMJ.

http://www.tmj.org/basics.asp

Feel Better!

Terry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again. I haven't had it tested, but just closing one ear and then the other it seems like that ear hears less than the other one. Sometimes the tingling/tickling sensation almost feels like a cold liquid is oozing out of it. Plus, at times the tingling ear starts to feel almost like your hand when it falls asleep, then it feels like the skin on that side of my face is just tightening up. Not the best descriptions, I guess, but it's hard to describe. Also, I wear dentures so I don't know if that's got anything to do with it all or not. The jaw/headache/ear things might all be coincidence and not connected. I'm mostly worried about the possibility of some kind of tumor in there. What ya think on that one? Thanks again.
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

Glad to get the extra info from you!

Although it may seem like a coincidence to you, those three areas are closely connected and related. If there is a problem with one, such as the jaw, it can lead to severe headaches...

Of course, it makes things easier for you if you have medical insurance, to visit the doctor. It is important to be examined since all of those areas are involved. Your doctor will feel your jaw joint as you open your mouth wide too see if he feels or hears a clicking sound at the joint, to determine TMJ. There are treatments that can help you. Your concerns about a tumor in the area, can be frightening to you, and an xray or MRI will reveal if there is one present. Your doctor will order these diagnostic tests after examining you and ruling out other possibilities. This would put your mind at ease. I am not thinking tumor at this time, but you need to have relief from the pain and sensations. Try applying a moist warm cloth to your ear and jaw and see if it relieves you. Take Ibuprophen as well. I am concerned that if you have an infection in the area, you would need an antibiotic. You didn't mention that there was redness, swelling or warmth in the jaw area or that side of your face.

Let me know if I can help further.

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling