Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I have a soft swelling lump under my jaw bone left side near

I have a soft swelling lump under my jaw bone left side near where the chin starts. It feels spongy & does not hurt when touched pushed. I have had it for years, but the past 6 months it can be seen more easily. The surface skin now looks similar to a raised insect bite but is irregular shaped and the skin is getting paler and slighly white patchy colour. 3 years back dentist saw on xray something that shouldnt be there deep in gum below teeth he said maybe chip of tooth from an extraction or bit of filling got in tissue. he sent me to hospital I was told whatever is cant be touched as too close to facial nerve. he sent me for salivary test but gland could not nbe found to insert tube. Noe of this was followed up. at time I get sharp sudden twinge like a nerve has been is a worry as I had cervical cancer 10 years ago & worried could be bone cancer??
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for writing. I want to provide you with the best possible information. In order to do so, I have a few quesions.

Any other health conditions you haven't mentioned?

Any medications?

Any fever, chills, nausea, vomiting?

Any other swelling in the area, such as your lymph nodes?

Any history of smoking?

Any oral problems? Difficulty chewing, bad taste, cavities/tooth pain, difficulty swallowing, excess saliva, dry mouth?

Thank you,

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Went to gp for 7 years with numb feelings wrinkling on the left side of face, alo the swelling mentioned, told the swelling was jus just jowles/aging (one sided, i didnt think so) Then the deviated septum was discovered. as i said surgeon at last min sent me away, doc said go back have septum done. I got worse so unwell & was found to have thyroid now in normal range...but swelling remains.

no real problems with mouth

stopped smoking 3 years ago

do get dry throat find swallowing hard...always think its thyroid related? but dont know

have a swollen lymph glsand in neck opposite side been there 2 years doc sdays it nothing.

get swollen puffy eye

blocked nose/allergies

regular migraines

Thank you for responding. To be honest, the skin changes and the increase in size are concerning to me, especially the bite-like appearance. When you were first evaluated, it sounds like this was too small to really evaluate effectively. At this point, you need re-evaluated. With your history of cancer and smoking it is warranted. In addition, I might recommend an Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Specialist. They may try xrays and scans, but an ultrasound might also be useful. Hopefully this is just your body's reaction to that foreign body your dentist noticed. Fortunately, you aren't showing real symptoms of infection.

I hope this helps. I know it's not a clear answer. I wish I had one for you, but I don't know that anyone could provide a clear answer without further diagnostic testing.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

Ms. Lisa

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thankyou. It has slowly been getting bigger over the years, my kids were the ones that noticed. I am all the time feeling unwell and this has been the constant thing that i think is making me unwell.

I am in UK so can not get to see who we chose as need a referalk through our GP, maybe I will print off your reply and take to her

Thanks again for the advice

Please, feel free to print off the response. I think they will agree that this need re-evaluated. I hope you feel better soon!

Ms. Lisa