Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

lab results High Neutrophils, low lymphocytes, high white

Customer Question

lab results: High Neutrophils, low lymphocytes, high white blood cell count, fever, feeling of cold, very tired and sleeping all the time. Age 7 years old, female
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. S Riaz replied 5 years ago.
<p>The lab results clearly show that the chiold is suffering from an acute infection indicated by a raised neutrophil and white blood cell count. His clinical picture also shows that - high fever, feeling of cold. You should take him to a pediatrician, if you have not done that till now.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues only if you are satisfied with the answer. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please tell me what kind of infection you might be referring to. What particular system in the body is suffering?
<p>That can not be said with surity from this report. A lot will depend upon the clinical examination of the child. She should be given medicines to lower down her body temperature and if the fever is too high cold compresses should also be given. You should take her to a pediatrician. She will be fine. Do not worry.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues only if you are satisfied with the answer. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have been giving her meds to lower the fever but that is NOT her only problem. All test results for cdiff, typhus, strep, and several other things came back negative. What could be left to test for!!!!!!!!!!! This child is still sick and it is up and down. Right now she is fine and playing but earlier she could hardly walk and just wanted to sleep and also had a low grade fever and no appetite. Remember the labs. High neutrophils, low lymphocytes, and high white blood cells. Please add this to her symptoms and tell me what you really think or at least post it and brainstorm with your colleages. Thank you
Does the child have chills and rigors? has she any problems with urination?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, just a feeling of being cold but not always. No urination problems.
<p>I feel that that your child may be having some viral infection. She should be alright in a few days. That is most likely. You just have to be careful and seek medical attention promptly when needed.</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can we post this and see if the other experts agree or if they different opinions?
<p>Another reason could be that the resistant bacteria after the anti-boiotic coure have multiplied and causing the problem again. You can consult some other pedaitrician as well. I am going to post this post as you want and see what other experts have to say</p><p> </p><p>Please, click the ACCEPT button so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a positive feedback will be appreciated</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She had another xray and it was clear so there is no return of the pneumonia. If we could have gotten even one positive result back from all the tests we would feel better as we would be able to start to treat the illness, but this not knowing is really making us nervous. There are no other family members ill and we are always kissing this beautiful child which makes us realize that she is not carrying a communicable illness. I will press accept if I will still be able to read what the other doc's opinions are. Thank you for your time
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

I have to agree with the expert above, high neutrophils (and therefore high total white cell count) is classic presentation of a bacterial infection. The timing of the blood test in relation to her symptoms is very important. So it is worth retesting her blood if this has not been checked since the initial pneumonia. I would also suggest urinalysis, and if the fever returns then blood cultures to check for presence of bacteria in the blood.

Children often develop fever which is non-specific and a thorough examination to include throat, ears and urine is standard. It is very important to check that she has no lower back or flank pain as a kidney infection would cause the symptoms that you mention.

What antibiotic was she given for her pneumonia? Did they ever tell you what organism caused the pneumonia?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She was given rosefrin? Not sure of the spelling. 2 shots , one in both thigh, and a 10 day course of the same antibiotic, orally.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information, the ingredient is ceftriaxone which is a pretty powerful antibiotic so would have tackled most infections althugh sometimes the course is extended to 14 days.

When was her last blood test taken?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
About a week ago
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

This peak in blood levels seems to correspond to the high fever that she had on completion of the course. That would match an infection, but is non-specifc to type or location of infection.

As this has been a week, then repeating the levels and a clinical examination to include temperature, heart rate and urinalysis would be in order.

You mentioned that she 'could hardly walk', was this due to pain?

How is she now?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, just extremely tired and she wanted to sleep. Yesterday she had a loss of appetite, 3 bouts with loose but formed stools. Fever of 100.5 up to 101.6. Feeling of being cold. Today she sounds much better (morning) and is playing making clay animals. Talkative, interacting. We will see how she does later this afternoon, which is usually how this has been happening. She has an appointment for further testing with the doctor who originally diagnosed the pneumonia at 8:15 am tommorow.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

I am glad that she is seeing her doctor, it may be that she is on the mend however do make sure that she gets a top-to-toe examination tomorrow to make sure that ears, throat, lungs and kidneys are all checked out.

And blood tests should include full blood count, white cell count and electrolytes/urea as well as urinalysis dipstick.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.