Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

what does this mean prominent amount of epidural fat from L3-4

what does this mean prominent amount of epidural fat from L3-4 through the sacrum suggesting epidural lipomatosis,causing narrowing of the canal at L4-5. Minimal disc bulge at this level disc is encroaching the epidural sac. At L5-S-1 large posterior disc bulge encroaching anterior epidural fat with bilateral extention into the inferior neural foramen. Bilateral neuralforamen with possible contact with exiting L5 nerver roots. Foraminal narrowing accentuated by facet hypertophy. What is treatment consist of?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Well, the "treatment" really will depend on your symptoms.

What exactly is bothering you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
numbness,burning and tingling in feet moving up the legs and lower back pain. Occurs when standing or walking for periods of time. stiffness when getting up.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
epidural fat from L3-4 through the sacrum suggesting epidural lipomatosis,causing narrowing of the canal at L4-5.

Extra fat is in the spinal canal, putting some pressure on the nerves in the lower back.

Minimal disc bulge at this level disc is encroaching the epidural sac. At L5-S-1 large posterior disc bulge encroaching anterior epidural fat with bilateral extention into the inferior neural foramen.

At the L5-S1 level, there is a bulging disc which extends into the part of the spine where your nerves exit the spinal column, so they could be getting "pinched" there, causing pain that radiates down the back of the legs to the feet.

Bilateral neuralforamen with possible contact with exiting L5 nerver roots. Foraminal narrowing accentuated by facet hypertophy.

The possible contact with the nerves is what I was talking about above. There is also some arthritis in the joints in the back.

Essentially -- you should have this reviewed by a neurosurgeon, because a simple decompression surgery may help to relieve the pressure on these nerves and help with your pain. The surgery is called a "laminectomy and foraminotomy, with possible discectomy".
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there treatment using medicine insteat of surgery?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Well, medicine would be pain medications, and this would be to treat your symptoms -- but the actual cure may require a surgical intervention.

Of course, a neurosurgeon has to review your MRI in person to determine this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am a truck driver could driving big rig have caused this? I drive for 3 to 4 hours at a time without breaks on the freeway. There is lots of vibrations in this truck. I started having the pain,burning and tingling after getting done with my shift and getting out of my semi truck.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
No - being a truck driver did not cause this.

This is more likely to be caused by genetics and years of degenerative changes on the lower back (especially people that are overweight).
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery