Internist
Internist, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialties, VERIFIED,American, trained and located in United States
13024878

why do i have to wipe so much after i been to the toilet, the

why do i have to wipe so much after i been to the toilet, the stool has gone but there is a Oliy sticky goo left behind. it is like trying to remove melted chocolate or treacle that is stuck to my ass. it seems impossible to clean with just paper so i have to wash the shit off every time i go. this is a serious problem for me, which i`ve had for over 3 years and has taken over my life because i have bowl movement up to 4 times a day. i don`t know what is causing it but i just want it to stop. there is a web site called poop report which displays lots of people suffering with the same problem, it is sugessted that there is to much fat is in the poo causing this, which is a symptom of an illness. please help me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you have fat in your stool it is indicative of a malabsorption. Your stool usually would be light-colored and float and there will be evidence of oily residue in the water. If this is the case you need to see a gastroenterologist for a workup of malabsorption. One of the tests that will be done would be a 72 hour stool collection for analysis of fat. There are other tests that may he done in order to see if you are malabsorbing fat from the small intestine. Assuming these tests are done and are negative then you may have irritable colon which is causing you to have several bowel movements a day and have a non-formed bowel movement which is preventing you from being able to easily clean yourself after each movement. I would recommend that you increase the amount of fiber in bulk in your diet with Metamucil or a similar bulk forming the agent with large amounts of fruits and vegetables and a salad twice a day. If this is not fat irritable bowel this will increase the bulk of the stool and allow you to have a normal shaped and formed stool which should leave no residue. Also after each bowel movement whpe with tucks with are cotton pads soaked in witch hazel which are effective in cleaning the rectal area. Give follow up on whether or not your stool tests are abnormal or not.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thankyou for you for answer

i am going to be referred to a gastroenteroligist after they get the all the blood results back. they say malabsorbtion is very raw, however i do have stools how you described. if i am diagnosed with malaborbtion or irritable colon is there cures available?

i have cotton pads and a bottle of distilled witch hazel is this ok to use for now?

Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
There are treatments for both of these conditions and you may get back to me with any questions you have once the doctor makes a diagnosis.

The cotton pads with witch hazel are fine to use.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thanks for your help, by the way i think pretty